405 MAP Sensor Location

PaulRoper

Fellow Frogger
I Have a 1990 S1 405
Can anyone help here ? I'm going thru the process of trying to get it to idle at the correct RPM.
Currently minimum idle is 1000rpm - when cold - even with the Supp Air Device blocked off, but when hot goes to 1300.

Supp Air Device has been cleaned and 12v seems to close it after about 5 minutes. So I'm assuming it's OK.

But I can't locate the Manifold Absolute Pressure ( MAP) sensor.
Haynes manual says on the "right hand side valance"..
Does it connect to the manifold via a hose or is it actually screwed into the manifold ?
Where too from here ?

PaulRoper said:
I Have a 1990 S1 405
Can anyone help here ? I'm going thru the process of trying to get it to idle at the correct RPM.
Currently minimum idle is 1000rpm - when cold - even with the Supp Air Device blocked off, but when hot goes to 1300.

Supp Air Device has been cleaned and 12v seems to close it after about 5 minutes. So I'm assuming it's OK.

But I can't locate the Manifold Absolute Pressure ( MAP) sensor.
Haynes manual says on the "right hand side valance"..
Does it connect to the manifold via a hose or is it actually screwed into the manifold ?
Where too from here ?

I didn't think they had one. Later XU10J2 engines do. Yours should have an air flow meter to sense engine load.

The SAD only operates during and for 30 sec. after starting, normally.

They idle better at 1000RPM.

Last edited:
PeterT said:
I didn't think they had one. Later XU10J2 engines do. Yours should have an air flow meter to sense engine load.

The SAD only operates during and for 30 sec. after starting, normally.

They idle better at 1000RPM.

Thank goodness - that explains why it can't be found

So the SAD should shut almost instantly ??? - within 30 seconds ???