405 diesel help

Erikbm

Fellow Frogger
I can't manage to post my photo as it is too big, so bear with me while I describe it.

I have bought a non-running 405 diesel with an unknown history. I don't have any others to look at. It was missing a fuel filter, so I put an aftermarket one on and got it running, but noticed diesel is leaking out of the injector return line.

the lines connect to a t-junction that is bolted onto the top of the injection pump. One end of the t goes towards the lhs of the engine bay, but has no hose on it? Fuel leaks out of this. Should I just blank it off or is it supposed to go somewhere?

thanks, Erik

The default image viewer of most systems can save an image as a JPEG (jpg) at reduced quality. If it's phone image try 60%, and save under a different name.

I have info on the 405 diesel, but there seems to be two injection systems. Is this yours?
bosch inj 405.png

OK I've worked out a go around for the pictures. Are these too murky? It could be the diagram you sent, in which case it is the connection in the bottom left of the diagram that shows as a 2 prong connector, whereas mine is 3. In the close up photo of mine, it shows as the banjo nut on teh left. The return soft hose can be seen coming in under a metal pipe, also connected, going off to the top left of the photo and a 3rd metal pipe (very hard to see) that my key is pointing to that goes off to the right of the photo.

Attachments

• VDIZ7586[1].JPG
    VDIZ7586[1].JPG
    333 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3716[1].JPG
    IMG_3716[1].JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 64
I also have a diagram for a CAV Roto system. If you have that I can post it.

Locations needing a return are the pump, the injectors and the filter, all needing a route to the tank. Both systems are similar under body. Can you trace back from them?

When it stops raining I will go and have a look. It already has a route to the tank, so I can't see what a 3rd pipe would go to.

The old diesel LandRovers, much earlier than the 405, had a CAV rotary pump. Neither pump nor injectors ever gave trouble, though I periodically put the injectors through an ultrasonic machine. The filter water bowl in the Landie was glass and had no electric sensor.

It seems like I have a spare tube coming off the injector return banjo. I will just blank it off and see what happens.

Thanks for your helps.

From the Roto Diesel Peugeot book (Roto made CAV rotary pumps under licence)
rotopump.jpg
roto.png

Hi Erik,

Could it be the leak back connection from the injectors? Perhaps check whether the leak back circuit is connected / present.

Cheers,
Andrew