404 saved from the wreckers! Now needing help

rex24

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi, I have just been given a Peugeot 404, that has sat under blankets, in a shed, for the past 30 years. Sadly, the blankets did a little damage to the paintwork, but it's all fixable. There is very little rust, the worst of which is in the front of the bonnet. As to be expected, the car needs a bit of work to get her back on the road.
Can someone;
1) tell me what year it is?
2) recommend a good place to buy parts? Radiator, brakes, shocks, clutch, .

Apparently it was put into the shed to replace the clutch, and just stayed there. The body and interior are good, it mainly needs mechanicals. IMG20240428112419.jpgIMG20240428085201.jpgIMG20240428112445.jpgIMG20240428112341.jpg

my guess is 1967. looks pretty good from the photos
you wont find a new radiator, get yours cleaned ,can use a 504 radiator with a minimal extra bracket support on rhs
rear brake cylinders on ebay ,
Try EAI for shocks and clutch ,
you will probably need a reco of your master cylinder too
brake reco mob in Lismore have been recommended on this forum

Thanks guys. I have admired the 404's for years.
Any ideas on where to get door and boot rubbers?
Der franzoe or eBay France, will be your best friend, with der franzoe buy most things as a package as postage is expensive

As alpine suggested You won’t be able to buy brake / clutch hydraulics easy so I suggest taking them all off and taking them somewhere to get overhauled,

You can buy clutches from eBay, you need the 215mm one,

Always admired the alpine white 404s
Could be wrong but 67-68 model

Keep us posted with your beauty 😎

you will probably need a reco of your master cylinder too
brake reco mob in Lismore have been recommended on this forum
Send them in the "dry season", IIRC the Lismore brake re-sleevers went underwater in the 2022 floods?

Australian production was a bit delayed compared to the rest of the world. It's a 1968 model according to VINs of the Australian CKD cars that surround 5092647.

Der Franzose is good but I think you'll find that our esteemed member Dano has a lot of other sources he could share. Cheers!

Reactions: cjl
509 engine number, so could be a late 68, some of these didn't have a rear anti roll bar for some unknown reason. Can be fitted but I think maybe the axle tubes didn't have mounting studs for it, casting is there for them though.

Thanks guys. I have admired the 404's for years.
Any ideas on where to get door and boot rubbers?
From Argentina, search on Ebay. Boot rubber is perfect, door ones need a bit of trimming.

Hi Mate,
If you would like a digital copies of genuine factory manuals and other bit and pieces,
send me a private message with you postal address and I'll send them to you. No payment required.
1714472206330.png

Dano

Congrats, what a great score, looks in very good nickI
I would agree 1968 from the later steering wheel and gearstick, but when did the slotted wheels come in, or were they an option? These look like older rims...
Also recommend trying Scott's Old Auto Rubber, he supplied window rubbers for my 203, great service.