404 leaping out of reverse

GregS

Fellow Frogger
reverse on my 404 keeps jumping out. No gearbox noises, nothing on the magnetic plug and smooth in other gears. It is probably the rod adjustment but has anyone any simple fixes or advice. I get all dyslexic when I get under and try to figure out the motions of the rods as someone changes gears. Cheers Greg

Originally posted by GregS
Reverse on my 404 keeps jumping out. No gearbox noises, nothing on the magnetic plug and smooth in other gears. It is probably the rod adjustment but has anyone any simple fixes or advice. I get all dyslexic when I get under and try to figure out the motions of the rods as someone changes gears.

Greg, this is probably as you say, a simple rod adjustment... or it could be because the lever on the bottom of the box (or is it the side) has too much slack when in the reverse plane.

Then again, that depends on what model your 404 is... if it's the C3 box (mechanical clutch) the latter will definitely be the problem, but it's the lever hanging down beside the box from the top... and fortunately for you the top is removable.

You might find another top and simply replace it (you can actually get it out through the hole in the floor IIRC), or you might pull it out and have someone build up the worn material and remachine it.

Or you might be able to adjust it out... with that model you can do that. But watch that you don't make it impossible to select first and third when you do so...

By the way, this forum isn't for posting problems like this... it's for putting in the solutions to problems that come up frequently. There aren't supposed to be (or not as originally envisaged...) replies to posts in here.

The right thing to do would be to get this thread moved to the Peugeot Forum... there others will see it and throw in the weight of their experience.

GregS said:
reverse on my 404 keeps jumping out. No gearbox noises, nothing on the magnetic plug and smooth in other gears. It is probably the rod adjustment but has anyone any simple fixes or advice. I get all dyslexic when I get under and try to figure out the motions of the rods as someone changes gears. Cheers Greg

I'd say that it's either not properly in gear (due to the rod adjustment) or the detent spring for reverse is weak. Both give the same symptoms (i.e. there's no or little detent effect to hold it in gear).

Dave

I think it might be simpler than that, David...

But a lot depends on what model Greg has.

If it's a C3 gearbox, with the mechanical clutch, the wear in the top of the box is often excessive and thus there is a loss of motion. This can be compensated for to a large degree by adjustment, but it might go too far and prevent first and third gears being engaged.

But the top of the C3 box does come off easily, and IIRC it can be removed through the hole in the top of the 404 transmission tunnel.

Then you can either fit a less-worn top or have that one built up and remachined to give a better bearing surface for the selector shaft that runs across the top.

The same might also apply to the BA7, but it's a bit harder there. For a start there is no adjustment in the rod, as far as I remember, and to repair the hole in the box requires that the whole thing come out of the car.

or even simpler
a very worn engine mount or rear engine mount giving the drivetrain enough flex to pop it out of reverse
this plus wear on other parts would definately do it