404 clutch

Top up the master, pump the clutch pedal like crazy , then press in the nipple in bottom of the master (and watch the bubbles coming up in the nylon line, when bubbles cease:it's bled)

You can operate the master cylinder from under the bonnet, do this while holding the valve down, this will
accelerate the process. Also, operate the cylinder with valve not held down, you will see air bubbles coming up as you jiggle the rod, and as above hold the valve down with nothing else happening, use all techniques until bled.

With a simple circuit like a master & 1 slave cylinder, I find it really efficient & easy to use a 50-60ml disposable syringe connected to some clear plastic tube to suck fluid out via the slave nipple.

It will save time to let the fluid fill the circuit via gravity first.

If it doesn't work, pump the pedal like mad then hold it down with a pre-cut length of timber wedged between the leading edge of the drivers seat and the pedal and then open the bleeder valve.

If you can obtain the assistance of a helper , get a large syringe some plastic tube , crack bleed nipple and while the assistant holds the little vale in the master down inject the fluid from the bottom.

Much quicker and easier to use my method, see above. Different matter with a 504, syringe is the only way unless you want to pump the pedal for half an hour.

If you can obtain the assistance of a helper , get a large syringe some plastic tube , crack bleed nipple and while the assistant holds the little vale in the master down inject the fluid from the bottom.
with the 504,s we used to put the plastic tube on l/f brake bleeder nipple and crack until fluid is at end of hose then put hose on clutch bleed nipple and open bleeder,check brake fluid level and then slowly push down brake pedal this will pressure bleed back through clutch slave and master cylinder and ito shared reservoir.you could use same method to pressurise 404 but as has separate resevoirs would have to keep eye on brake master cylinder level and clutch reservoir overflow and depress valve at top of clutch slave cylinder........just an idea........jim

I favour pressing the button in the master cyl - had to throw away a new (made in Italy) clutch cyl. on my 404 when I cracked the bleed nipple, then stripped the thread tightening it. Not usually as ham-fisted as that, tried to recover the situation by drilling out & re-tapping but with only a hand drill it wasn’t aligned enough to seal anymore :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk