404 brakes binding

Edmund

Fellow Frogger
Hi fellas. I noticed a vacuum leak on my 404 a while back and I thought it was the vacuum booster check valve only to find that it was the rubber on the booster where the check valve fits onto(check image provided) that was a little torn and letting air in, if I press it against the booster with my finger air leak disappears. I had a spare rubber in good condition on my other booster which I decided to replace this faulty one with and it worked, no more hissing vacuum leak sound but to my surprise just after a short drive the car couldn't move anymore. I had actually parked the car for a few minutes then as I started it again, it just couldn't move forward or backwards, I engaged drive or reverse, nothing happened, I then put it into neutral, released the handbrake, got out and tried to push it but it was rock hard. At this point I was getting really worried but then I realised my brake pedal had become unusually hard as if the car had no booster, In then decided to disconnect the vacuum pipe and magic happened, car started moving, as I removed the vacuum pipe from the booster there was a quick hissing sound as if some air was escaping. I've since been able to drive the car again but with the torn rubber, I had to remove the rubber in good condition to avoid the brakes binding again, car drives and brakes nicely like it always has but I don't like the consistent vacuum leak. What could be the cause of this, is the booster faulty even if it works so nicely, soft pedal etc? Thanx.

Attachments

• IMG_20230405_225025_316.jpg
    IMG_20230405_225025_316.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 54
Just get the booster recoed
I wanna avoid that as much as possible, I'd have to send it to the US and it costs an arm and a leg but besides repairing it I'm more interested in the logic behind these symptoms, do they confirm a faulty booster or something else is going on because for some reason the booster actually works very well.

Check out the Hot Rod scene. You should be able to find something to work without sending stuff to USA for repair.
Also check and clean brake lines. Flex hoses are another cause of brake binding, they star to act like a one way valve.

Locked brakes is usually caused by a stuck vacuum check valve. On 404s with the vacuum tank, the check valve is in the banjo fitting connection. On 404s without the vacuum tank, its mounted somewhere on the booster. Find it, unstick it and lubricate it with some silicone.