404 1970 refurbishment

Pinsplitter

Fellow Frogger
i have posted in the parts wanted forum but thought i'd put this here coz i need a little help / advice on various things.
I've been working on the Pug for 5 months or so, some members have been a great help with parts and advice. Thanks..

- the windscreen rubber trim. How the hell do you get it back in? Any tricks?

- today having most of the exterior back together I thought i'd take her out on the road for a spin.
But I had the same problem as when I first got the car.
On releasing the clutch in 1st gear and trying to move off there is a lot of shudder and the car almost stalls , i have to keep the revs up but i can't get it to go up my steep driveway (see in pic)
There is also a bit of a whine noise at idle which goes away when the clutch is engaged.
when i first drove it (on flat ground) if i got into 2nd gear quickly it would drive fine.
Any ideas welcome........

Apart from that. the engine starts and runs quite well.
I did a lot of work on the body, far from perfect, then painted the top black and the bottom a dark grey,
polished all the trim, lots and lots of other little things as well.

- Still have to get the washer pump working.
- Redo the door linings.
- Haven't been able to get the bonnet to drop in and fit tight on closing, the end near the windscreen sits up too high.

Attachments

• P1040546.JPG
    P1040546.JPG
    360.8 KB · Views: 129
  • P1040543.JPG
    P1040543.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Peugeot_404_140W.jpg
    Peugeot_404_140W.jpg
    705.6 KB · Views: 122
  • P1040542.JPG
    P1040542.JPG
    367.1 KB · Views: 129
Pinsplitter,

Nice work, keep at it.

1. The take off shudder, will be a worn and drooping rear gearbox mount.
  2. The Bonnet alignment could be? The actual hinges. they become stiff with age. Apply a good dose of Lanolin spray on th hinge pivots and and between the arms. When free and moving, regularly apply a dab of white grease to the holes where the springs attach.
  3. NOS washer pumps are available on EBay France. (Check the spray nozzles are blocked first.) They do scale up inside the metal units.
  4. If your top door pads arent split and beyond repair, remove them apply a good smoothering of Lanolin spray then wrap in Cling wrap for a few days. You'll be suprised how supple they will become.
  5. Fitting the windscreen trim is detailed in the original factory repair manual. Similar process of installing teh screen.
If you would like a digital copy of various original factory 404 manuals, just send me your postal address via a private email on this forum. I'll send them to you for free. What goes round comes around.

Cheers

Dano

Fill the gearbox with oil, may stop the whining to some extent. It will be empty or near to, they leak out the selector shaft at the rear. You need to fill these every 6 months or so. lack of power in first seems strange, maybe something wrong with the gearbox. Goes OK in second then?

Whining noise, change the gearbox oil, if no change input shaft bearing on way out.
1st gear issue may be related to clutch on way out, put in 3rd gear let out clutch, should stall immediately

thanks everyone.
That gives me some hope i don't have to replace the clutch.
I'll check the rear mount (thanks Dano again) and change the oil.
The manual says change oil every 6000 miles which doesn't seem a lot.

thanks everyone.
That gives me some hope i don't have to replace the clutch.
I'll check the rear mount (thanks Dano again) and change the oil.
The manual says change oil every 6000 miles which doesn't seem a lot.
Old oil not a great problem but no oil is and if the car hasn't been used for many years it will have leaked out. Also. may have been drained? My spare 205 gearbox needed a litre or two, no idea why, didn't seem to be any leaks, but you don't know what the previous owner has been up to.

i have posted in the parts wanted forum but thought i'd put this here coz i need a little help / advice on various things.
I've been working on the Pug for 5 months or so, some members have been a great help with parts and advice. Thanks..

- today having most of the exterior back together I thought i'd take her out on the road for a spin.
On releasing the clutch in 1st gear and trying to move off there is a lot of shudder and the car almost stalls , i have to keep the revs up but i can't get it to go up my steep driveway (see in pic)
There is also a bit of a whine noise at idle which goes away when the clutch is engaged.
when i first drove it (on flat ground) if i got into 2nd gear quickly it would drive fine.

I did a lot of work on the body, far from perfect, then painted the top black and the bottom a dark grey,

- Redo the door linings.
- Haven't been able to get the bonnet to drop in and fit tight on closing, the end near the windscreen sits up too high.
Hi Pinsplitter,
for the bonnet, as Dano says check the hinges first but another reason could be the rubber seal along the top of the bulkhead. I replaced mine some time ago with a length to the closest profile I could find in 'Clark Rubber' since then my bonnet has been raised at the rear edge :confused:

I believe the trick to stop (or at least slow) oil leaking from the gearbox is always to leave it parked in 'Reverse'? (other than a rebuild that is :whistle:)

Regards,
Rob

- Redo the door linings.
Well done, car looks very distinctive , you have worked quickly .
inserting the alloy screen trip requires patience !!.

hope you get the teething problem (that always occur), sorted soon ,
cheers C

Need to put cord in the slot and while you are pulling it out slide the rubber in.

having a look under there today, i can't get the car high enough yet to see everything.
Question: i undid 2 nuts from rear mount but the mount won't move.
Are there other nuts up under higher i can't see?

Pull up the floor mat, there is a bolt at the top of the tunnel.

Happy to report I took Pug out on the road today.
After I changed the gearbox oil (and engine oil) and fiddled the carby volume screw as per the manual
(it was running very rich), and new spark plugs the shudder in 1st gear is gone.

Got up my driveway and took a 10km tour.
Filled with petrol, the gauge is not accurate, the horn is not working.
Lovely to drive, steering good, suspension seems ok.

Will grease all the nipples next.
Interior still needs a lot of work, going for a red theme.

Great news, they are lovely to drive

I have door pads and old door cards/vinyls should you need them, also a variety of inner trims, chrome bits etc

There is a crowd in Sydney who did new ones for me which are an exact replica. THey were good to deal with - Classic British and German. They did not have 404 off the shelf, but once they had seen my dead ‚uns they found a mould to fit and did an excellent job.

I had the door and dash pads redone by the dashboard place in Sydney Rd Coburg, also a good job, although not cheap, so if you cant find good second=-hand, yours can be refurbished

Good luck with the project

Andrew

I have a set of pretty decent door pads ...if they're better than yours?

Hi Bahay, you mean the top section of the door trim?
My driver's one is badly damaged, the left rear has a split, not too bad and the other two are ok.
P1040580.JPG

The horn wasn't working so i took off the steering wheel and looked, it was the button bot was worn down and not getting pushed,
my solution which has not failed yet was to solder a small piece (3mm approx shown in blue for clarity) of steel rod onto it and bend the outer bit to the right gap.
P1040562B.jpg

My solution to not having clips for the exterior trim bits was to get some 6mm mushroom head bolts and grind the edges and top so they slot into the slot.
This worked well except for some holes where you cant get behind to put on the nut.
For those i left the bolt in and added silicone and taped it down til it set.
P1040578.JPG

The Pug year is 1969 or '70, it has a rev counter in the dash panel.
Was this a change? Did they leave out the clock for those models?
I have a clock courtesy of a froggy member but its not working, so i'm thinking of making an imitation clock using a movement from a cheap clock and putting it in a console with a radio under the dash.
I did the artwork for a clock face.

Peugeot_Clock_Face.jpg

Also via gumtree i got a free red leather couch and chairs and i've ripped the leather off to recover the seats.

The seat belts were a disaster , i cleaned them all up and refitted with a red webbing i bought (its not the real genuine legal stuff)
I think i need a passenger side buckle, i can't find one in my boxes of stuff.
P1040585.JPG

Yu can see there my first attempt at recovering the seat with leather, not very successful, but doing it taught me what i did wrong and will do it again with the red leather.

Attachments

• P1040587.JPG
    P1040587.JPG
    659.4 KB · Views: 73