309 back together.

GRAHAM WALLIS

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Well I finally got the 309 GTi16 gravel rally car going again today after being off the road since late March. It dropped a valve during the Classic Outback Trial and around the same time the bodywork around the engine mount tore apart. Body work was fixed by Nick at Lux Racing, once again a great job, he thought that it wasn't spot welded correctly at the factory, Ryton in the UK. I built up a 1.9 to replace the 2 litre XU10 with 1.9 head and Piper cams that I had been using. The cams were low duration but high lift which may have contributed to the head dropping off a valve. Ifitted a head with a fair bit removed on the new 1.9 and a Peter T Stage 1 cam, which was ground by Crow in Melbourne who have taken over Peter's cam profiles. Even before tuning it goes very well, response in first gear is amazing, you can be idling along in gear, flatten the throttle, then instant wheel spin and rev limiter.

Graham, did Crow regrind a standard cam to Peter’s stage 1 profile - when I spoke with a while back they didn’t have any new billets and could only regrind?

Graham, did Crow regrind a standard cam to Peter’s stage 1 profile - when I spoke with a while back they didn’t have any new billets and could only regrind?
Yes, they had a bit of a think first to determine whether it would fit on the standard camshaft.

Yes, both 426A and 426B fit on a standard cam. If you need the exhaust cam reground, it’s 423A.

Glad it worked out well Graham. The 426B on the inlet with matching chip, is a great combination.

Yes, both 426A and 426B fit on a standard cam. If you need the exhaust cam reground, it’s 423A.

Glad it worked out well Graham. The 426B on the inlet with matching chip, is a great combination.
Using megasquirt 3 and a GTi6 inlet manifold. Needs to be tuned yet, still set for the 2 litre.