308 T9 Touring towbar

N5GTi6

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I'm after a towbar / wiring etc to suit a T9 Touring.

Any experience / recommendations ? I'm preferably after one that doesn't have a gooseneck but a flat tongue style so I can fit a standard bike rack in need.

Cheers

Justin

Have you looked on the Peugeot Aus website to see if one is available? Don't know about the Touring, but I have a 'factory' towbar on my T9 hatch that was locally developed so it has a tongue (or hitch) that slides into a hitch receiver. It's a funny design, the tongue is an S shape, sort of, that pins into the vertical hitch receiver mount. Can scrape on the road at certain angles with a four people in the car.
Note the towball download limit if you think you might tow anything close to heavy. I'd have to check but it's only something like 60-75kg max.

There are a few suppliers that have T9 wagon with Reese hitch in VIC. Listed on ebay and their own websites.

I purchased the T7 wagon model and installed myself. Just for bike rack so wiring yet to be connected.

Best Bars in New Zealand made the approved Peugeot tow bars for my 307 and I'd assume they were the supplier for the 308 too.
You could contact them and ask who in Sydney they supply for after-market fitment.
Maybe there is one in a wrecker? You could try French Connection, though they are in Melbourne area so freight might be a problem.

Have looked into it for the identical car.
Would prefer the Peugeot one but not for two to nearly three times the price of alternatives.

One problem pointed out to me is the issue of the parking senses. A Peugeot dealer I spoke to refused to do the necessary wiring to overcome the problem unless I purchased the tow bar from them.

The goose neck alternatives look rather flimsy and one installer said they simply bypass the parking senses.

For the number of times I need a trailer have decided much cheaper to hire a Ute with a towbar and trailer.

The alternatives from SE Queensland:
Suggested by a happy customer was Aranda Towbars and Towbars Australia I found on the web.

For carrying bikes a bought a couple of second hand bike mounts that fit my roof racks off eBay for $50 esch.

Last edited:
Our 308 has a reverse sensor off switch factory fitted just above the radio, never knew what the button was for until a tow bar company said no additional ECU was required as the 308 has this button.

All wagons I've seen have this feature.

Check with a few wreckers as well for another option

Have you looked on the Peugeot Aus website to see if one is available? Don't know about the Touring, but I have a 'factory' towbar on my T9 hatch that was locally developed so it has a tongue (or hitch) that slides into a hitch receiver. It's a funny design, the tongue is an S shape, sort of, that pins into the vertical hitch receiver mount. Can scrape on the road at certain angles with a four people in the car.
Note the towball download limit if you think you might tow anything close to heavy. I'd have to check but it's only something like 60-75kg max.

Interesting - is it a flat tongue, or a 50mm square box section at the car body 'end' ? The Peugeot.com.au bar has a 50mm square box section and it looks like it might hang down quite a bit - but it's actually looking like the best option at this stage. $690 is on par with aftermarket bars anyway. I'll only be using it for a box trailer or a bike rack.

There are a few suppliers that have T9 wagon with Reese hitch in VIC. Listed on ebay and their own websites.

I purchased the T7 wagon model and installed myself. Just for bike rack so wiring yet to be connected.

Hayman Reese don't list a T9 product on their website - only T7.

Best Bars in New Zealand made the approved Peugeot tow bars for my 307 and I'd assume they were the supplier for the 308 too.
You could contact them and ask who in Sydney they supply for after-market fitment.
Maybe there is one in a wrecker? You could try French Connection, though they are in Melbourne area so freight might be a problem.

Yep - I have the Best Bars 'Peugeot' bar on our 308 T7 Touring - it fitted perfectly and works very nincely. It's a nice low profile item due to the flat 'tongue' and hence the reason I'm after something similar for the T9 Touring. Unfortunately they're a heavy item to courier - but maybe still worth pursuing,

Yep - that's the T7 bar - no good after 2014 unfortunately.

Thanks for all the tips guys......l'm still looking........

Cheers

Justin

Interesting - is it a flat tongue, or a 50mm square box section at the car body 'end' ? The Peugeot.com.au bar has a 50mm square box section and it looks like it might hang down quite a bit - but it's actually looking like the best option at this stage. $690 is on par with aftermarket bars anyway. I'll only be using it for a box trailer or a bike rack.
It's a 50mm (actually, it might be 40mm, I'd have to check, but I think 50mm) square box section, as I said, a strange vertical mounting point. It came with the car, which I bought from the first owners.
The rear bumper needed to be cut for the 50mm hitch-receiver aperture (which the fitting dealer didn't do very neatly, although you can't really see their handiwork) and there's a 7-pin round Euro plug for the electrics, which came with a 7-pin flat adaptor from Peugeot. The towing electrics apparently needs an ECU fitted and a chat with Servicebox to work (this last bit as per the first owner's account, who had problems with indicators working and had to take the car back to the selling dealer, Muirs, to fix it.)

I have experienced this combination once before in December 2015 when I had an Allure 1.2 auto w/towbar. I towed a teardrop camper full of camping gear (est weight 700kg) and had the dog and the kids in the car. I was amazed how well it performed.

I did not seem to notice then the grounding issue, but have noticed it with my car. The towbar will ground before the suspension reaches full compression, and when laden and at certain departure angles it'll ground (such as when reversing out the driveway onto a typical crowned road with a full compliment of occupants). The towbar seems very close to the ground when the car has much of a load in it. The hitch has a massive gusset (is that the word?) or support running under the 'tongue' section that takes any hits. It's not a big problem, has only 'gently' scraped 2-3 times since I have owned it but it is unnerving as it makes a hell of a noise and you can feel it though the car.

Think I might have it - looks like it's the Best Bars towbar for the T9. I've been on the phone to Best Bars this morning and confirmed they do the bar for the T9.

Best Bars 308 T9 towbar 1.jpg
Best Bars 308 T9 towbar 2.jpg

The vertical receiver is indeed unusual. Looks like I'll just go for the 'genuine' Peugeot / Best Bars unit.

Cheers

Justin

Interested in getting one myself.

Like to know the cost, what you are going to use to attach the vertical receiver to and what are you doing about a wiring harness.

No easy way out from what I can find.

Lots of aftermarket bars, but I really don't like the designs. The thing troubling me about the 'Peugeot' item is that the website pic isn't the same as the 'Best Bars' pic, but Best Bars claim to be the supplier to Australia - which they definitely were for my T7 because the bar has a BB identity on it.

So as it stands I'm looking at the following :

9160521 Peugeot Towbar - $695
1611864480 Peugeot wiring harness - $547

It might be possible to source the wiring harness a little cheaper from the UK, but the first place I ordered from (AUD$300 delivered) cancelled my order within 24 hours claiming lack of stock. The advantage of the Peugeot harness is that there is no hack and slash on the car wiring- it's all plug and play, even if requires turning on in Diagbox.

The towbar on the other hand is on a 6 week backorder. I've had every NSW dealer checked and there is no stock.

No reverse sensor off switch on the dash of a T9.

I didn't really want to wait 6 weeks. Next thought is to phone NZ and see if any stock could be freighted to Sydney, but this is a towbar after all and freight based on weight is going to be expensive.

Cheers

Justin

Suggest you resolve the parking sensor issue first if you don’t want to bypass them.

When I said in my previous post:

“One problem pointed out to me is the issue of the parking senses. A Peugeot dealer I spoke to refused to do the necessary wiring to overcome the problem unless I purchased the tow bar from them.”

Pointing out this problem was an ex Peugeot dealer service manager who I am sure could have done it in his workshop if he had the right Peugeot (I assume software) equipment.

No easy way out from what I can find.

The towbar on the other hand is on a 6 week backorder. .

No reverse sensor off switch on the dash of a T9.

I didn't really want to wait 6 weeks. Next thought is to phone NZ and see if any stock could be freighted to Sydney, but this is a towbar after all and freight based on weight is going to be expensive.

Cheers

Justin
Have you tried the wreckers? I also wonder if the Touring bar is the same as the hatch, which might make finding a used one easier.

I wanted to buy a used rear bumper with sensors and the sensors ECU (my Access does not have rear sensors fitted) as I don't want to touch park with the towbar and Sydney parking spaces can be tight at times. Now I'm wondering if the two can work together successfully (sensors and towbar) to cancel the sensors when a trailer is hitched and also if the sensors 'sense' the towbar as the rearmost part of the car.

Suggest you resolve the parking sensor issue first if you don’t want to bypass them.

When I said in my previous post:

“One problem pointed out to me is the issue of the parking senses. A Peugeot dealer I spoke to refused to do the necessary wiring to overcome the problem unless I purchased the tow bar from them.”

Pointing out this problem was an ex Peugeot dealer service manager who I am sure could have done it in his workshop if he had the right Peugeot (I assume software) equipment.

All good. I'll use the factory harness anyway - that was always my aim.

Have you tried the wreckers? I also wonder if the Touring bar is the same as the hatch, which might make finding a used one easier.

I wanted to buy a used rear bumper with sensors and the sensors ECU (my Access does not have rear sensors fitted) as I don't want to touch park with the towbar and Sydney parking spaces can be tight at times. Now I'm wondering if the two can work together successfully (sensors and towbar) to cancel the sensors when a trailer is hitched and also if the sensors 'sense' the towbar as the rearmost part of the car.

Touring and hatch towbars are different unfortunately. As long as your sensors can be added via Diagbox you should be right, but from my experience if they factory wiring isn't there the car won't know the sensors are in place to turn off. No the sensors don't add distance when you have a towbar - the back of the car is all the sensors know as the rearward most point.

Cheers

Justin

Usually for genuine installations, as soon as the trailer plug is connected, the rear sensors are disabled.
On my 2017 Golf with genuine VW tow bar (Best Bars again) as soon as I plug in the trailer plug, it disables rear parking sensors, rear blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert and changes the DSG transmission from Economy mode to normal mode. (It has a choice of Economy, Regular or Sport, but economy is locked out when towing. (because in Eco mode it coasts with no engine braking .) It also puts a warning on the screen that these safety functions are disabled.
Unfortunately in the VW it doesn't turn them back on when you remove the trailer plug, I have to go in to the settings menu and reinstate them which is a nuisance, but I would hope that Pug do it better than that.

Have you tried the wreckers?.....snip.....
Well I did end up finding one at the wreckers, but unfortunately it was missing the tongue, and if you've seen the tongue on a T9 Touring towbar they're not easily replaced.....

I ended up finding a NOS OEM T9 Touring towbar on Gumtree of all places. It was missing the nuts and bolts but these were easily sourced from Bunnings using the fitting instructions as a picking list.

The one key point in the fitting that really got me was the way the rear bumper attaches to the rear quarter panels - if I hadn't found the following UTube clip I would never had got them apart..

Cheers

Justin

The one key point in the fitting that really got me was the way the rear bumper attaches to the rear quarter panels - if I hadn't found the following UTube clip I would never had got them apart..

Cheers

Justin
That's good to know, presuming that the hatch has a similar fitting method. That's if I ever get around to fitting a sensor-equipped rear bar to the 308. Recommissioning the 605 is a bit of a distraction at the moment.

I'm after a towbar / wiring etc to suit a T9 Touring.

Any experience / recommendations ? I'm preferably after one that doesn't have a gooseneck but a flat tongue style so I can fit a standard bike rack in need.

Cheers

Justin
hello. I have an original Peugeot 308 SW T9 towbar/ ( Touring) with wiring, components, and ECU. Contact me if you still looking for one.

Well I did end up finding one at the wreckers, but unfortunately it was missing the tongue, and if you've seen the tongue on a T9 Touring towbar they're not easily replaced.....

I ended up finding a NOS OEM T9 Touring towbar on Gumtree of all places. It was missing the nuts and bolts but these were easily sourced from Bunnings using the fitting instructions as a picking list.

Cheers

Justin

hello. I have an original Peugeot 308 SW T9 towbar/ ( Touring) with wiring, components, and ECU. Contact me if you still looking for one.
As per # 17 I did end up finding a NOS towbar.

Maybe post on the towbars thread as I'm sure there will be a taker for it. You'll need to mention whether the wiring is for early or late T9 as they're different.

Cheers

Justin