308 T9 rear brake replacement - e-handbrake

N5GTi6

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Howdy all,

Just about to replace the rear brakes on our 308 T9 and was wondering if there is any special procedure to follow regarding the electric handbrake ?

Does it require 'resetting' in any particular way ?

Cheers

Justin

If it operates with either cable disconnected, which you will have to do, the winding unit can be wrecked. Huge $$$. So the important thing is to make it impossible to operate. You can deactivate it with the menu. If necessary disconnect the battery.

Only when the brake work is finished and the cables reconnected can you enable the automatic handbrake.

Thanks, I hadn't realised that Peugeot was using the caliper motor type. I have a 308 in the family that will need brake attention soon enough. More hassle for what I think is a gimmick.

No these are motor on calliper you need to put it into service mode before you start do you have an diagnostic tool
Yep - Diagbox 9.68.

I have a charger connected to the battery.

I've gone into 'Repair' --> ABS Brakes --> replacement parts

I have the 'Service' light on, on the dash

I have various options around
'Bleeding',
'Release of motorised Brake Calipers',
'First activation of the electric Parking brake',
'replacement of the rear right motorised brake caliper',
'replacement of the rear left motorised brake caliper'
'replacement of the electric parking brake (FSE) right hand actuator'
'replacement of the electric parking brake (FSE) left hand actuator'

Do I only need to 'Release the motorised brake calipers' to change the pads ?

and after changing both sets of pads go for 'first activation of the electric parking brake' ?

Cheers

Justin

Do I only need to 'Release the motorised brake calipers' to change the pads ?

and after changing both sets of pads go for 'first activation of the electric parking brake' ?
Yes
And after your done you just disconnect the tool and pump the brakes and then hit the hand brake switch.
Sometimes you get a warning saying auto park brake off you need to go into the reactivation of auto park brake menu

Ta Muchly !

Cheers

Justin

Yes
And after your done you just disconnect the tool and pump the brakes and then hit the hand brake switch.
Sometimes you get a warning saying auto park brake off you need to go into the reactivation of auto park brake menu
All good. Took more time to assemble all the parts on the pads than it did to replace them !

No warning - auto park brake worked without issue afterwards.

Cheers

Justin

Thanks. Need to get around to doing mine soon. I will research. Don't want to wreck the e-handbrake..

What I noticed with the motor on caliper type was that putting them into service mode and selecting 'Release the motorised brake calipers' sounded - to the ear - like basically turning the e-brake off. The sound of the e-brake releasing using the menu option in service mode sounded the same as turning the e-brake off.

but you wouldn't want to activate the e-brake with the caliper off the mount or the pads removed. (Not that you need to remove the caliper to change the pads - at least not with the motor on caliper type)

Cheers

Justin

Thanks, I hadn't realised that Peugeot was using the caliper motor type. I have a 308 in the family that will need brake attention soon enough. More hassle for what I think is a gimmick.
The most totally useless device ever invented.