308 lock nut issue

SonofPugwash

Tadpole
I have a lock nut that has come apart and is unable to be removed.

The tyre is fine for the next year but if we have a puncture it'll be a tow truck as well as having to deal with the issue in question.

I would rather solve it now.

Here is a photo. I tried to drill the centre and I hit it with a hole saw quickly before wisdom got the better of me and figured asking for advice might be the best first step.

Here it is. The diameter of the centre nub is 12mm

Here is the existing lock nut and removal tool.

IMG-2991.jpg
IMG-2993.jpg

I believe the lock nut was fitted with a rattle gun and was obviously too tight to remove, or had been damaged when fitted. It sheared off when we tried to remove it with the wheel brace.

Tyre place said they are unable to deal with it.

I was thinking to use a hole saw to remove the wide part of the nut that is holding the wheel on, that way we can remove the wheel and remove the remaining stub with the 17mm removal tool at the tyre place.

Let me know if you have any other ideas.

Thanks

Hasn't Pugwash told you? Chuck the !@#@#$# things down the deepest well you can find and fit all standard bolts. The shearing is part of the design to thwart bad guys. In fact they thwart owners too.

There are many threads on this problem. It's worth using the DDG search facility on the home page. Rattle guns are not the tools for wheel tightening. Good shops use torque wrenches.

I used Cobalt hardened drill bits to drill the end off the bolt. I started with a 7mm a 10mm and finished off with a 12mm (Don't forget to use some cutting oil). If you buy a known reputable brand they'll set you back around $100. They make a hard job easy!

This happened to us on the 307cc. Welding a nut resulted in the top portion of nut snapping off. Drill approach did not work either. I had to use a a large die grinder. I grinded the edges right back do I could remove the alloy. Just be careful not to damage your alloy.

I'd try hammering on a socket that is to small before I'd try anything expensive or difficult too :)