308 HDI stalling after starting

Boxcar

Tadpole
Help
My 308 HDI stalls immediately after starting intermittently. It’s related to temperature, if the vehicle is garaged overnight it doesn’t happed, if left outside it will. The only way to get it going is to start it at partial throttle & keep the rpm elevated until it warms up, then it’s fine
Thanks

Nowra has been about 6 degrees min lately. Could you post which engine it is, as these are shared between many models, and that info increases the chance of a reply. Digits 6-7-8 in the VIN. Do you have access to a code reader?

When you say temp - how cold are we talking ? Alpine diesel cold ? It was 3 degrees here in suburban Sydney this morning but our 2.0RHR HDi always starts easily.

How many k's on it ?

2.0 or 1.6 ?

Is this just a recent thing ? Recent repairs ? Error messages ?

Using correct engine oil - C2/C3 rated ? DPF clogged ?

Cheers

Justin

Nowra has been about 6 degrees min lately. Could you post which engine it is, as these are shared between many models, and that info increases the chance of a reply. Digits 6-7-8 in the VIN. Do you have access to a code reader?
It’s a 2009 2.0 litre diesel
Temp on the instruments was eight degrees this morning. Had the same issue.
Usually it’s garaged without issue, normally above sixteen degrees
Scanner is not detecting any error codes

When you say temp - how cold are we talking ? Alpine diesel cold ? It was 3 degrees here in suburban Sydney this morning but our 2.0RHR HDi always starts easily.

How many k's on it ?

2.0 or 1.6 ?

Is this just a recent thing ? Recent repairs ? Error messages ?

Using correct engine oil - C2/C3 rated ? DPF clogged ?

Cheers

Justin
Justin
125k 2.0 litre
DPF not blocked, fluid consumption per normal. DPF Fluid topped up at 110 k, no issues.
Correct oil
Been happening since the start of winter

Is that an RHR engine? RHR and RHH differ in fuel lift.

It might be a sensor or fuel issue. Does hand pumping on the priming bulb cure it?

Last edited:
Is that an RHR engine? RHR and RHH differ in fuel lift.

It might be a sensor or fuel issue. Does hand pumping on the priming bulb cure it?
Engines an RHR
I suspected that the other day so I pumped the primer bulb when cranking, no joy.
I then removed the rear seat & what I though was the lift pump till I got it out, found it was pickup & level sender only, cleaned it before returning
Thanks

Easy things first- after starting, watch the transparent fuel line near the filter outlet. Does flow stop?

Thanks
Will give it a go when cold in the morning
8 degrees this morning
Pumping the fuel bulb frantically just kept it from stalling
After stopping the engine I kept pumping the bulb & found a tiny weep around the housing seal.
Pulled it out & found a tiny scratch in the o ring, I do replace them every filter change
I presume you don’t see a small leak as the housing is under vacuum when running ?
Hence the air gets in
Maybe the colder o ring made the issue noticable
Hopefully it’s sorted
Thanks guys for your help
Boxcar

Help
My 308 HDI stalls immediately after starting intermittently. It’s related to temperature, if the vehicle is garaged overnight it doesn’t happed, if left outside it will. The only way to get it going is to start it at partial throttle & keep the rpm elevated until it warms up, then it’s fine
Thanks
I have exactly the same issue. I'm in Brisbane, QLD. Our winter has actually been cold. Mines a 2008 model.

8 degrees this morning
Pumping the fuel bulb frantically just kept it from stalling
After stopping the engine I kept pumping the bulb & found a tiny weep around the housing seal.
Pulled it out & found a tiny scratch in the o ring, I do replace them every filter change
I presume you don’t see a small leak as the housing is under vacuum when running ?
Hence the air gets in
Maybe the colder o ring made the issue noticable
Hopefully it’s sorted
Thanks guys for your help
Boxcar
How did you go? Has changing the o-ring made a difference?

EGR system Blocked? my 1.6 HDI has been a bit "off colour" performancewise and a scan showed the EGR valve was having issues, just waiting for a sunny day to pull the beast out.

My problem is sorted. It was the fuel filter oring. Changed it out and all symptoms have evaporated. I will say that it is meant to be changed with each oil change at 12000 miles, and I didn’t do it. So it’s my own fault..

From experience there is another possibility and that is that you've got the dreaded diesel fuel bug in the tank and that when it is cold the thicker fuel will not readily pass through the filter in enough quantity to keep the engine alive. If, when you change the filter it looks rather black then it's the bug, which will need to be exorcised entirely to prevent any further issues. Or, just by filters as a bulk lot and keep changing them.

Check egr valve they commonly fail on rhr 2.0 hdi and cause stalling but U should have faults for egr position sensor or jamming egr faults stored.

Other issues can be faulty suction control valve on high pressure pump see this a lot too