308 alternator removal

Boothy

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi All , new here so apologies for any clumsiness.
I need to change alternator pulley on 08 308 2.0 hdi as it’s noisy. Looks like alternator has to come out to do this , a bit tight to do in situ. Any tips ,please? Do I need to go wheel off through splash guard? Any advice is much appreciated 😊.
Tim

It's an over-running pulley. There is a one way clutch inside, and a special hollow spline tool is used to remove it. INA and Dayco make them.
pulley.jpg

You need room for the spline tool and the fitting that passes through it, plus room for two spanners. Look up Youtube for ideas.

I am not sufficiently familiar with a diesel 308 under bonnet area to say off hand. I wouldn't be surprised if the alternator needs to come out. The tool isn't cheap and you need the right size. It's normal to change the belt at the same time.

Haynes manual say remove alternator to replace the drive pulley, no mention of going through the wheel arch.

undo wiring, undo 4 bolts for tensioner, remove mounting bolts 2 x left, 2 x right, it does say left bolt the AC compressor and move to the side, sorry cant post photos atm

Thanks so much for your assistance with this gents, I appreciate it . Where can I find a 308 workshop manual online? , paid is ok too .
Tim

Haynes have one in English, paid for. Revue Technique Auto have a better one, in French, as a translatable pdf, also paid for.

Peugeot Service Box will let you join as an independent repairer, and you can search it for detailed instructions. This too has a fee.

You can also get them through bookshops, or sometimes 2nd hand from eBay.

The manual publishers are very active in reporting to the search engines sites that put up one their copyright manuals for download. It does happen, but you have to be very quick to beat them.

Whatever you do stay away from online manual sellers. Almost all are scams. One test is to note the address of the site found by a search engine - it could be a dentist, or a holiday hotel! These !@#$s whack their spiel page onto penetrated business sites.

Sometimes you can find genuine factory data for a particular job on British and European car club and forum sites. You won't often find a commercial manual.

There are examples of using the tool on Youtube in a range of cars.

Last edited:
PS I located a genuine Haynes download, but it does not cover your engine. You can sometimes be lucky,

I have a fully scanned Haynes C5 manual. Someone must have spent days scanning into a pdf.
If you need anything specific I can scan a page of instructions or torque settings for your 308 but I'm time limited as bloody work gets in the way.

Wow. That’s super helpful, I’ll locate a manual from one of sources ,really big help thank you!
From those photos I can clearly see how the insert tool works , I’ll definitely have to remove alternator as I don’t have anywhere near that clearance to fit socket and ratchet. Really appreciate you’re assistance with this.Thanks.
Tim