307SW trailer wiring ...assistance please...unidentified module

Tiger_DFT

Tadpole
Hi,

Really hoping someone can help. I've just bought my first French car....and I'm loving it. I just had to buy it....like new inside, super economical, relaxing (not fast!!) to drive and it was really cheap cheap. I'm intending on towing my lightweight Westfield race car with it. All up the towing load will be < 800 kg so should be fine.

A module which has the following labelling...” Siemens VDO bsc a01-00 9656147980”...came with the second hand towbar which I have fitted to my Peugeot 07 SW (June 2004 2.0 hdi 66kw build).

I'm hoping this module is the interface between a trailer wiring harness and the vehicle wiring loom.

As this vehicle may be either a VAN or CAN bus wiring schema I'm not game to directly wire into the rear lights as in the old days. I suspect the module that came with the towbar is the missing link....if only I could find out the pin outs!! Or can I just wire directly into loom...it is a very early 307 (6/2004).

I have been trying to find this pinout or wiring diagram information for this module with many failed Google searches. I've also tried contacting Siemens/VDO ... they don't answer their emails!!

Hopefully someone may know where I may purchase the missing 16 pin compatible plug.

Hoping you can point me in the right direction....Google hasn’t helped!!

Thanks very much
David
Busselton
West Australia

Attachments

• IMG_20191120_173932(1).jpg
    IMG_20191120_173932(1).jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 303
Hi David,

Not sure if it helps but I had the exact opposite issue to you, the 2nd hand kit I bought had a traditional wiring harness that suited the earlier car (i.e. non CAN for the lights if I recall) but my 307 is a T6 update with CAN, so I purchased an aftermarket CAN interface that wired into the rear light and acts as a translator. So short answer is that module is most likely for a later full can car.

You could just cut your losses and buy my whole car! It even has an electric brake controller and comfortably tows a Clio track car being the late 2.0 big Hp version!

Yep - unfortunately you're going to have to go back to scratch and find out exactly what your car needs to start with. I'd say ignore the box you have at least until you find out the requirements for your exact car.

I've wired both our 308 Tourings (2009 and 2010 - both with the low power 100Kw RHR motors - the later 120Kw would be nice.....) and the kit for those is quite involved. A large box in the boot behind the wheel brace plus part of the wiring harness runs the length of the car and plugs into an existing socket in the back of the fuse box behind the glove box. At least I didn't have to cut or splice any wires.

You might not need all that with an early model car.

Cheers

Justin

You can get away with a generic trailer protection relay box on all cars that don’t use PWM rear lights so basically everything before new 308 t9 and late Picasso

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Thanks everybody for your info.

I have purchased this....https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B01MFDM9SE/ref=pe_2361882_282382012_TE_item

It draws a very small current...."Because the lights are powered from the battery, this latest relay draws only 0.001A (1ma) from the vehicles lighting system, which will not effect any bulb warning system or vehicle wiring on even the very latest vehicles."

Hopefully this will work!!

Cheers
David
307SW 66kw cruiser!
71WRhgkHEuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I bought my 307 wagon brand new in 2007 (facelift model 1.6 HDi) with dealer fitted Genuine Peugeot towbar. (The NZ made Best Bars one supplied by Pug Australia.)
Only years later I found out they used genuine towbar but didn't use any interface box at all - just wired it direct to rear lights, with scotchlok connectors!!!
I only found that out when fitting non-genuine rear parking sensors, I followed the wires right from trailer plug to tail lights.

I knew that was a dodgy thing to do but it had never given any trouble so I left it as it was. Dealer no longer existed to complain to.
It explains why dealer charged me less for towbar install than other dealers I got a price from. (and helped them get the sale....)
I traded the car in in 2017 with trailer plug still wired like that. Never gave me any grief though I understand if the trailer lights shorted it could have been very expensive...

Hi Simca1100....like your Username!!

It's been impossible to find out if a bypass relay definitely needed for my 2004 307. Your experience suggests NO!!

My luck would have the trailer lights short when 1st plugged in!!

I've purchased that $50.00 box and will sleep easier.

The Siemens VDO box that came with towbar is missing a 16 pin plug and VDO/Siemens do not answer emails. So I've taken the easy way out!!

Back in the 60's I worked with a chap that had a light green Simca Aronde!!

Cheers
David

Yes you need protection on all bsi switched lights

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time