307 Wheel Security Stud problem

rherber1

Tadpole
I see that this subject has been raised before for Pugs of various models.

My 2006 Pug 307 diesel has only been used on the odd occasion since I bought it new but now it is in regular use.

I thought it was about time to swap the front and rear wheels to even out the wear - none of the wheels have ever been removed since new. I discovered that all studs on the first wheel I tried to remove had been ratcheted up so tight that it was impossible to undo them with the nut brace provided. I resorted to some extra leverage to get them out. When I tried to remove the security stud I found that the adapter would not sit down far enough for the 4 spigots to engage with the matching slots on the head of the stud and the brace just caused the adapter to jump off the stud when pressure was applied.

It looked to me as though the hole in the centre of the adapter was not big enough to allow it to fit easily over the flat central locator on the head of the stud. I thought a gentle tap with a hammer might get it to sit down tightly so I gave it a whack. Bad move.... The central locator head on the stud is mounted on a central stem and when I applied the hammer it snapped the locator head off the top of the stud completely. Now it was totally impossible to get the security stud out as it had been ratcheted on equally as tightly as the other 3 and the adapter nut just slipped off the head as though it were greased.

I am utterly flabbergasted that Peugeot would provide such a woefully inadequate and fragile design for a security stud. They are completely useless and are not user friendly at all. Looks like I will have to resort to expert help from the tyre shop or mechanic to get the broken stud out. I then plan to replace all of them with regular wheel studs.

Anybody know the part number and cost?

I bought mine from a wrecker, he didn't want a part number. $20 for four studs and the security ones went in to the bin.

The part number for a normal wheel bolt for an alloy wheel is 5405.67 and a Peugeot dealer will charge you around $8.00 each.

I see that this subject has been raised before for Pugs of various models.

My 2006 Pug 307 diesel has only been used on the odd occasion since I bought it new but now it is in regular use.

I thought it was about time to swap the front and rear wheels to even out the wear - none of the wheels have ever been removed since new. I discovered that all studs on the first wheel I tried to remove had been ratcheted up so tight that it was impossible to undo them with the nut brace provided. I resorted to some extra leverage to get them out. When I tried to remove the security stud I found that the adapter would not sit down far enough for the 4 spigots to engage with the matching slots on the head of the stud and the brace just caused the adapter to jump off the stud when pressure was applied.

It looked to me as though the hole in the centre of the adapter was not big enough to allow it to fit easily over the flat central locator on the head of the stud. I thought a gentle tap with a hammer might get it to sit down tightly so I gave it a whack. Bad move.... The central locator head on the stud is mounted on a central stem and when I applied the hammer it snapped the locator head off the top of the stud completely. Now it was totally impossible to get the security stud out as it had been ratcheted on equally as tightly as the other 3 and the adapter nut just slipped off the head as though it were greased.

I am utterly flabbergasted that Peugeot would provide such a woefully inadequate and fragile design for a security stud. They are completely useless and are not user friendly at all. Looks like I will have to resort to expert help from the tyre shop or mechanic to get the broken stud out. I then plan to replace all of them with regular wheel studs.

Anybody know the part number and cost?

That's a bit hard to believe it's never had the wheels removed. You mean in it's 9 years it's never had the wheels removed during regular servicing and never had the timing belt done?...That's naughty.

Those studs breaking is very common, we sell every standard wheel bolt we get and always for the same reason. Usually it's the tyre store who put the rattle gun on the adapter and stuff the lot up. Very poor design.

The part number for a normal wheel bolt for an alloy wheel is 5405.67 and a Peugeot dealer will charge you around $8.00 each.

Thanks for the assistance and part number - that was the one I wanted. Also found the part for the steel wheel is 5405.65.

Bought four of the .67 and my local mechanic had no trouble removing the damaged security bolt. My Pug now has standard bolts all round. While at it the mechanic removed all other bolts and put some anti-seize on the threads. A small amount of oxidation had occurred since new which made them hard to remove using the supplied hand brace.

When we bought our T6 two of the drive pins in the security socket were missing and all four bolts were suitably butchered. I was preparing our T5 for sale which needed 2 tyres. There were 3 T5's at Jolly's U-Pull-It in Ringwood and one had a set of early alloys with 4 half worn tires for $160 which seemed like a good idea as the last lost plastic wheel trim cost $80. In one of the other cars on the floor in the back was a full set of alloy wheel bolts, four of which solved the T6. Two of those T5's (both HDi's) were still there two weeks ago.

i just had the front wheels off my son s 308 to have the disks skimmed ,$20 EACH CASH . as they were shuddering under brakes ,when re fitting the wheels the security bolt failed, the ring on the bolt that engages with the tool ,is only pressed onto the bolt ,it just came loose falling out with the adapter tool ,i tried to tap it back on then ,taped it rite in with a socket ,only to find that the tool now doesn't engage as the ring is pushed in too far now ,looks like a trip to the tyre place ,my son tells me they have a tool like a female easy out which grips ,what is left of the stud , hope it works !

Is there any topic that occupies more forum space than this?

I've posted on this previously. All the wheel thieves must be laughing their socks off at these attempts to lock your wheels.
The only thing that these and immobilisers do is immobilise the owner !