307 Review & Comparo

gadgetboy

Fellow Frogger
Hi,

I have had my Peugeot 307XSE (auto) for approximately two weeks. The previous car I had was a 1999 Audi TT (FWD 132KW). I have also been looking after a friend’s car which is a 2002 Saab 9-3 Aero (Five door 151 KW). I do realise that these cars are in different price points; however it was an interesting comparison.

Build Quality: Wow, the 307 has better build quality than the 9-3 by far. The switches are more tactile east to use etc. The qualitie of the materials used were better as well. The Saab dashboard has to be one the worst I have seen in any car. The Audi however had the best feel to the interior but not by much. There were no noticeable squeaks rattles etc from the 307 in the two weeks I have had the car.

Ergonomics: The TT and 307 are on par in terms of ergonomics. The 9-3 is far behind the TT & 307. I preferred the audio controls on the stalk on the 307 to the steering wheel mounted controls on the 9-3. In the 9-3 the thumbs had to be stretched far as possible to use the wheel mounted audio controls. The TT did not have wheel mounted audio controls.

The audio and trip computer features on the TT (mounted between rev counter & speedo) and 307 (on top of dash in middle just below the windscreen) could be viewed without taking the eye off the road for a long period of time. The trip computers on the TT & 307 were controlled by a stalk behind the steering wheel.

On the Saab the trip computer/audio information was to the right and was not intuitive. The trip computer controls were not steering wheel mounted and was difficult to use while driving.

The Audio system in the 307 lacks bass. I’m currently looking into replacing the speakers. The 9-3 and TT’s audio systems were better and the TT’s was the best – it was a BOSE sound system. I’m not a big fan of BOSE – but the custom unit in the TT was excellent.

Seating Position & Space: 1st 307, 2nd 9-3 3rd TT. The seats on all cars were on par. The 307 I have is with factory leather. The 307 has the rather strange driving position i.e. almost upright like in a MPV, but you get used to it. This position makes use of the vast expanse of glass around you. The 9-3 and TT feel quite claustrophobic compared to the 307.

The rear seats in the 307 seemed to have more room than the 9-3. The rear seat on the TT was a joke.

The headlight (Halogen) on the Peugeot was fantastic – far better than the headlights on the 9-3 and TT. The auto head light feature on the 307 is useful but the auto windscreen wiper feature a is gimmick and very erratic.

Handling: 1st TT, 2nd 307, 3rd 9-3. The TT and the 307 could be mistaken for being RWD cars. There was very little torque steer on both cars. The handling on the 9-3 was appalling – every time I floored the accelerator the 9-3 changed lanes. The 9-3 ran wide on most corners. This is in a 9-3 with 17” wheels and P7000 rubber.

Performance: The TT seemed quicker than the 9-3 due to a better gearbox. The gearbox on the 9-3 (manual) seemed lazy. The TT’s gearbox was very precise.

The 307 seemed very sluggish for the first week. However when I filled the tank with Shell Optimax there was a noticeable difference in performance. The manual gear shift in the tiptronic gearbox is a gimmick. The sport option is useful during city driving as it holds the gear for longer before shifting up.

Overall – I was sad to see the TT go (had to give it up for a fiancé who doesn’t drive manual & a lack of space), but I am very happy with the 307. I have recently fitted a Nokia 6000 series car kit in the 307 and photos to follow…..

Cheers,
Guhan.

G'day Guhan,

Nice to see another 307 driver on the boards. I've got a 1.6 XS auto.

You'll find that the engine needs about 1000km to start loosening up. The 1.6 was a real slug initially :)

Have a look at the following site.

<a href="http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm" target="_blank">http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm</a>

I followed some of the tips here after 600-700km, and the car was much better. What he says makes sense anyway.

The 307's audio is truly let down by low quality speakers. Staging is actually not bad for a little car, but the speakers lack overall warmth of sound. After you come out of a Volvo S60 and you listen to the 307, you really notice the difference (then again, Volvo probably does make the best factory systems).

Tiptronic can be useful - if you don't depress the accelerator whilst changing gears, it will shift quicker. 2nd to 3rd is always the fastest - however you have to ensure the torque converter locks up first.

Headlights are great, especially when driving on full beam out in the country. Just wondering, aren't all headlights these days halogen?

Keep us updated with how your car goes.

Cheers,

Justin

gadgetboy:
I have recently fitted a Nokia 6000 series car kit in the 307 and photos to follow…..
Please do. :)

And tell us more about your mobile phone car kit, please.

Hello Guhan:

How are u? I am Gary from Sydney and I have a 2001 307 XSE manual, i have read ur comprehensive comparison and i have to agree with u. My friend was trying to sell to me his 99’s AudiTT for half of the price (he moved to oversea). But i could not afford the insurance and others, therefore i gave up. TT was a very good car to drive but rear space is extremely inadequate.

307 audio.....not not not very satisfy with it. Having the volume to half way (around 10) and that’s where the broken noise from the speakers starts....i am still waiting for my warranty replacement for my broken left speakers. What kinds of speaker u are going to get?

I don’t know about the automatic, but my manual started to loss up after 1000km, oil change at around 5000km and so far I have done 9700km on the clock and the car drives great.

About the leather interior, how much is it in option?

Keep us updated with how your car audio upgrade.

Cheers
Gary

Gary:
About the leather interior, how much is it in option?
Hey Gary,

I can answer this question.

A leather Upholstery workshop in Pagewood charge $1850 up (depends on which leather) for the 307, same price for the 206 (anyone interest?).

Your Peugeot dealer will charge you $2850-$3000 for the same thing.

btw... for those 307 owners...are you happy with the factory alloys?

<small>[ 03 July 2002, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: moO moO nEL ]</small>

GARY:
u had a friend selling TT for half price???~
man.. I want a TT so bad but cant afford it... but half price~!!! I sell my Gti anyday n pay the extra 15-20k~~!!! head_ban

love to drive one of them... anyone who knows any TT owner would wanna swap cars for few days with a 206Gti?? evil evil evil

or swap it for good in that matter~!!! evil evil evil

Sorry Tim:

That was my uni friend's car. We graduated at same time and he needs money urgently to moved back to Indonesia......He had a garage sale and the TT was sold to his mate (from Indonesia as well).It was almost brand new.....6 months old (12500km) and unfortunately his family asked him to go back to Indonesia. I think he was asking for $45000 in cash.

I always want to have a good prestige coupe like TT or 3series coupe, Peugeot 406 coupe manual (hard to find), Honda Legend coupe(hard to find a good used example).....but now we have new CLK coupe......one day, I will get one myself.

Gary

It was almost brand new.....6 months old (12500km) and unfortunately his family asked him to go back to Indonesia. I think he was asking for $45000 in cash.
Geez... that price for a TT that's only done 12500km... buy it anyday without a blink of eyes~!!!