307 or Scenic?

DeKa

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Well I've just booked a flight to London in July... I'll be visiting family in the UK and touring Ireland.

Last time I went (in 2000) I leased a Peugeot 206, and this time I'm looking at either a 307 2.0HDi from Driveaway (http://www.driveaway.com.au) or a Renault Scenic 1.9 turbo diesel from Renault Eurodrive (http://www.renault-eurodrive.com). The price difference is minimal - the 307 is $70 more than the Scenic for the 27 day period.

Which do you think I should go for?

For those who don't know - these cars are French in origin, so left hand drive. Makes things interesting to start with but you get used to it quickly! Non-EU citizens can lease cars to drive anywhere in Europe for up to 175 days at rates far less than rental car companies charge, and anyone over the age of 18 with a drivers licence can drive them.

Either way, I'll be taking an Aussiefrogs.com sticker to put on the car!!

Derek.

[ 12 March 2002: Message edited by: DeKa ]</p>

I think Derek you should get a scenic, as this is what i hired when in France and the eastern bloc. It was auto however and a 2.0 16V. It was a very quick car and great to drive me and a mate of mine had it loaded with luggage and it went fine on the autobahns in Europe. I would take the scenic...

Well I could get the 1.6L 16v Scenic... cheaper by $150 than the diesel. The 2.0L isn't available.

I wanted to go diesel cos last time I did 3500km in the 206 and spent an absolute fortune on petrol... at least diesel is slightly cheaper in europe, and inherently more efficient.

I know the 307 diesel does about 4L/100 on the highway.

We did the same in 2000 and had a 206. I'm still in love with it!

No doubt diesel has the edge on fuel costs.

However, I'd choose purely on turning circle.

Good luck.

John W.

Derek,

The Scenic clearly has the most versatility in its setup, with the removable and reconfigurable seats. Might be more useful. Both come in two versions with different power outputs. The Scenic dTi is the less powerful Scenic, the dCi gives about 10 kW more from memory. The 307HDi 90 is the less powerful, the HDi 110 is the more. The number is the bhp rating (UK market). Both of the 307's are faster than the fastest diesel Scenic. The 307/110 does a respectable 10 something 0-100 and around 190 top speed. The 307 does a remarkable combined cycle mpg of 54.3, whereas the Scenic is 47 odd. Unfortunately, French market vehicles will be badged differently. Finally, the 307 must have that no-smoke particulate filter, so it won't smoke like a diesel (even though they don't much now anyway)...

Hope that helps a bit.

Stuey

Thanks guys,

John, glad you agree with me on the diesel. Last time I got the petrol (1.4L) 206 because it was cheaper to lease... but filling it up the first time (they supply the cars empty) cost me $95.00 Australian on the visa card!! :eek: Didn't last too long either.

I'm not entirely sure about which models they offer Stuey. I have a feeling they'll be the less powerful versions of both cars?

The 307 is specifically the '307 XR Presence 2.0L HDi Diesel' Going on Australian badging, XR tends to mean the lower model doesn't it?

The Scenic brochure says 'Scenic 1.9 Turbo Diesel' so that's pretty non-specific too.

I might go into the Renault dealer in Parramatta during the week and have a look-see at the Scenic before I make up my mind.

Derek

Derek,

I agree - they'd more than likely be the least powerful models in a hire fleet. I reckon for travelling with luggage a diesel would be perfect. It's all in the mid range torque - the power figure doesn't tell the real story.

Good luck.

Stu

Stuey,

I'm going to go the Scenic. It is the 1.9 dCi (105bhp) model - that's the common rail diesel injection which is the same technology as Peugeot's HDi.

There's been a bit of a price blow-out though - I misread the pickup/delivery charges section so it's more expensive than I thought (by $390) but still heaps cheaper than rental cars anyway.

By the way, if anyone is interested in a leased Renault in the future, Paul Hodges at Renault Eurodrive is a really nice bloke.

Derek.