307 loose gear box

gecko

Tadpole
Was driving and all of a sudden couldn't change to 1st or 2nd gear. The gearbox is floppy, and it seems only 3rd and 4th work, can't get it to reverse either.

I managed to get it home and suspect it's the gear selector cables. Not that I'm a mechanic or anything close to it, just wondering if anyone's had this issue and what's it cost to fix?

I'm in Reservoir VIC, and not sure really what to do at this point.

What engine the cables are easily viewed from the top sounds like one has popped off or sometimes the sleeve that holds the cable breaks and doesn’t allow the cable to work correctly

What engine the cables are easily viewed from the top sounds like one has popped off or sometimes the sleeve that holds the cable breaks and doesn’t allow the cable to work correctly
2L petrol, 2003. I had a quick look, couldn't see them from the top, so will take another look.

You will probably have to remove some of the air intake plastic to see. The cable end that may have gone AWOL looks like this--
be-box.jpg

Ditto Speaksgeek although mine is a 406.

Definitely the cable is broken, the one that pushes the range between 1/2-3/4-5/R.

I have done it several times recently on 206, but not 307. If it's similar, it requires:
- Remove the middle section of exhaust after the header.
- Remove heatshields
- Undo nuts holding the shifter assembly in. They are inside, under the centre trim/shifter leather boot
- From there you can probably access the back of the gearbox from underneath, looking towards the front of the car above the subframe.
- The cables connect with a ball/socket. They just push on.

You could get a whole shifter assembly off a wreck at pick a part or imlachs. On 206's there are early and late variations for the way the cables connect, and they don't interchange. I don't know if that's the same on 307's.

So summarise, a bit of a fiddly job, but not epic difficult if you can get some good clearance under the car.
How long did the replacements last?

I'd be pretty upset if this happened and I was on a road trip.

I took it to Manuel's Automatics, listed on this forum as a Peugeot mechanic. They said they'll source the parts first and give me a quote, hoping not going to cost too much.

Looks like they want 2.5hours labour + parts, something like $650 total for a used part including labour or either $378/$478 for a new part plus labour.

Seems a bit expensive, but it appears the parts are hard to come by. Any suggestions?
Do I just bite the bullet

Keep in mind than my car is a 406. In my case, the problem was with one cable at the gear lever end. I decided to replace both and with new genuine cables ordered in by a dealer at a total cost of about $420.00. Not cheap but I didn't want to have to replace them again down the track. Also, not difficult to do although I needed to remove the exhaust system, heat shield, etc. More time consuming than anything else but I cannot see how it would take 2.5 hours to do - assuming that it's not a longer process than with a 406.

You can buy them via Ebay but what is the quality like? If a dealer doesn't have them in stock, maybe they could order them in for you?

Last edited:
Can you wait for a Euro supplier? Look online, they are a fraction of that price. For example-
(about 100+ odd Euros)

eBay isn't necessarily bad - OEM can be found.

Last edited:
Last edited:
They are in Tallin, in Estonia. There are others in the UK and France etc with similar, or by email, businesses. I know AF members have used Alvadi, - do a search.

They seem to have a courier that isn't too affected by a shortage of incoming aircraft - probably a dedicated cargo carrier.

They are in Estonia. There are others in the UK and France etc with similar, or by email, businesses.

They seem to have a courier that isn't too affected by a shortage of incoming aircraft - probably a dedicated cargo carrier.
I just hope it's the right one if I order, there seems to be two different products (the difference being the lengths) not sure which one i would need..... Part number I was told by Manuel was 2444CF

Last edited:
Got to be honest, I can't see where 2.5 hrs to change over one of those cables goes. After having done both cables in my 406 once, I reckon I could do it comfortably in one hour.

Got to be honest, I can't see where 2.5 hrs to change over one of those cables goes. After having done both cables in my 406 once, I reckon I could do it comfortably in one hour.
I'm guessing they don't really take that long, but I'm not sure what other options I have at this point. Wish there was a local mechanic I could trust.

Ordered the part last Monday, arrived 1 week later, brought it in, they put it on and I picked it up today. $275 cash with no receipt, just for the labour. Didn't really have much of a choice at that point.

Gear shifter seems a little stiff, so not sure if it will loosen up a little bit over time

I did refill the transmission fluid last year but just reused the same washer, I might have to do it again with a new washer (I think it was a copper crush one).