307 Engine bay fuse box

I recently cut the tops of the 4 black relays and the bottom off an old engine slave / fuse box. This reveals a sandwich of two boards about 1/4" apart bonded into the housing with encapsulant around the edge of the upper board. It's not ever coming out of that housing. You can see, but not easily get at the solder points for the larger relays. On this particular unit it was clear that the failures were a melted contact support in one supply relay and melted/dry joints for the same relay and at another one. I have seen one video on Youtube where someone removes a faulty relay from the top, solders in some pigtails and adds in a new plug-in relay to repair it. That is an option as it means you don't have to get to the underside of the board. You have to physically destroy the relay to remove it and there is a risk it will damage the solder pads on the part of the board you can't get to or let some solder inside that might short out one day. Dry joints can cause all kinds of issues unexpectedly, but eliminating bad earths does mean one half of the circuit is likely to be good now.

Hi David

Is it likely that 3 different BSMs would all give exactly the same symptoms?

Cheers
Alec

The DAM number is days from 9th Nov 1976. There are a couple of ways to convert DAM to a manufacture date--

1. a script such as this: date +"%D" --date @$((216306000 + $DAM*3600*24))
(NB time intervals are counted in seconds). Putting DAM=12000 produces:
09/16/09

2. Do it in a spreadsheet that supports a range of date difference functions (excel or calc)

Post yours, Alec, and I'll tell you, if it isn't already on a plate on the car..

Thanks - I'm no longer near the car, but happen to have the RP number displayed in PP2000 - still open on my laptop.

It is 10068 - 4 June 2004 - so I definitely had the right part number for the BSM.

Last edited:
Is it likely that 3 different BSMs would all give exactly the same symptoms?

Cheers
Alec
It's possible, though I would look at what else is involved in starting the engine such as the Pre-Heat Control Unit (a fancy pwm relay).

Parts list for DW10TD Diesel https://tinyurl.com/3vtjjku6
Probably 5981.38 for a RHY DW10TD, the ECU itself could be Bosch (1 plug) or Siemens (3 plugs).
Also try reseating the earth shown in pic.

307hdi-Pre-Heat_Relay.jpg

Last edited:
There is an earth under the kick panel on the left front door. It's the panel that holds the carpet down on the bottom of the door frame. my 2006 307 HDI had a badly corroded earth connection at that point. There is also a number of earth points under the ECU and near the Left headlight, I think 3 or 4, I made up a lead with ring terminals and joined them all together then back to the main earth strap that goes to the battery. It solved some of the mystery faults I was getting on PP2000