307 Driving Experience

Gary

Fellow Frogger
Hello lions:

After having my 307 for almost 3 months and have done 2500km (90% in city drive) on the clock, I have decided to take my lion for a test drive on high way (Pacific high way (no 1) and twisty mountain road (old pacific high way (no 83)). Here are my feedbacks from today’s drive (compare to my past experiences on few Jap. Cars- both sports and luxury).

On high way (speed limit 110km/hour): Changing gear from rest are busy, especially at 1st, 2nd , and 3rd gear, they are closed. There is not much fun in acceleration(to 60km/hour), but beyond that is easy and fast. Despite it’s heavy weight (two people on board, air condition on at Auto mode with outside temp shown 36 degree), the car is travelling at 100km/hour with rev just lower than 3000rpm. The noise level is low, only some air noises managing penetrate through from the door frame. Stability of the car is good, almost feeling like the car is glued to the surface when it enters high speed bend and changes lines. The handling is not as crispy as some Japanese car but it’s definitely more stable than those Japanese cars I have driven before. Fun starts at speed above 100km/hour where the rev was between 3000 and 4000rpm (haven’t try over 4000rpm yet). Mid range torque was great and purposely useful during high speed hill climb. I have used only 5th gear at all time without change down to forth (including overtaking). The superior torque just pulled the car away from others.

On twisty mountain road (speed limit 70km/hour average): 307’s suspensions are firm setting. They are quite harsh on those poorly maintained Sydney roads (B-grade), but they are excellent for mountain drive. Body rotations are low and u can turn the corner with much more confidence and secure. Slightly understeer occurs when u push the car a bit over the limit. I do try once and I am scared by some other companies from the opposite direction (750 and 500CC racing bikes). Gear changes are only kept at between 2nd and 4th and again the torque and power are great distributed on between 2500 and 4000rpm. The tyres are gripy but they become noisy on some poor bitumen. I have tried to keep the rev under 4000rpm since it has only done 2500km. Again, steering is heavier but pointy.

From today’s drive, I do find open-road drive is much more enjoyable than city drive. The interior noise level has became greater (annoying sometimes) in the city drive due to firm setting of the suspensions and poor road conditions. Anything else are great and useful (only a small problem- engine still vibrates like 5 years car at idle ……………!!!!!).

My car has the same 2.0L engine used in the 206GT-i. If 307 could give me a satisfactory driving experience, than 206 will be a pocket rocket and more enjoyable.
Any lions want to make any comments or contributions, please feel free to share them with other lions (especially those 307 owners).

Cheers
Gary Kao

G'day Gary

sounds like you have a lot of fun. I am eager to test out my 206cc on the old Pacific H/way this weekend and also to fill-up my tummy at my favourite pie shop "Pie in the sky".

The handling on the cc is quite good on city roads except 'pot-holes', the tyres are very sticky on winding roads as well.

I have tried to go flat-out on a corner at 40-45kph and the car just took it nicely.

I've wondered how will the car go if I lower it by 35mm, add a Strut-brace or a bigger sway-bar and put on more -ve camber. I may even put on 17s to see how sticky it will be (that is if $$$$ permits - better start saving and find a second job)

Wil

Hello Wil:

I was about to give u a call while we (my girl friend and myself) were on the way to Hawkesbury River Marina. But it was 2pm in the afternoon and we didn't have any ideas where we were going until we saw the exit. Sorry Wil. I wish u could be there, imagine two lions vs. 20 or more racing bikes...........interesting!!!!!!!!! So who is the predator?

Where is that "Pie in the sky", yum! Could we come? I am thinking about go to Hawkesbury again this weekend if the weather is good (forecast raining all weekend................). u want to come?

Be patient! My friend! Don’t over react with ur dreams. After two years, ur dreams will come true!

307CC is coming out in next year’s Geneva’s Motor Show. The roof mechanism is designed by German GTS, and the roof is going to be fully automatic, just like the one in Astra Conv. The 307CC is going to have much bigger at rear and promise at least 300L of boot with roof down! Vvvveeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy Tempting!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have got a few spy photos from French 307CC special designed web site. Fans are ready for its first glance. Check out the web site: <a href="http://www.307cc.net" target="_blank">www.307cc.net</a>

My friends in Taiwan (who own a 307 and 206 XT, both automatic), they all have problems with their auto as u have. 307 failed to engage in semi-auto mode, engine stall due to gear box failed to engage. They all have “adaptive automatic”, u know what I mean! Problems are still under investigation.

Luck me, I have got a manual one!! Ha!ha!Ha!

Got to go! Today’s petrol price is 89.9C per L. Not cheap!, but my 307 is hungry now, time to feed him well!

Talk to u later
Cheers
Gary

G'Day Gary,

Thanks for the little 'review'. Can't wait for the 307 to arrive. Hope they fix up all the bugs in the auto tranny by then (when did your friend get the 307 & when was it built?). It's made in Germany by ZF I thought.

Still, the French are probably the last to go to for auto boxes :)

If you want a good drive, check out the Sydney Frog Cruise thread in the Car Club Section. :D

Hello Justin:

My friend’s 307 is 2.0L auto (only transmission available) and since the second day after he picked up his car from dealer, he has been experienced a lot of small problems (most of them are bad quality of interior fittings). The car was made on first half of 2001 (delivery month, Step/2001), and he has got the first 307 (a very beautiful dark purple colour) sold in Taiwan. Now he has experienced gearbox problems with semi-manual mode. He told me he was not alone where two other 307 were also waiting in the service dep. for same problems. As far as I know, they were all 2.0L cars, no 1.6L. I will keep u update.

Cheers
Gary

How's the car going? Any other news on 307 reliability & ownership?

Cheers,

Justin

i own anew 206gti and have also driven the new 307 with 2L.the 206 being smaller and lighter it is a more brisk ride . dont think that you have to do high klms before revving the engine a little

After reading a bit of material on running in, and forum and newsgroup responses, I'd agree!

I'm starting to push my 1.6 307 a little more, and I've noticed the engine is a lot better now. It feels more responsive at small throttle inputs.

Taken the car up a few hills, down some hills (holding it in gear), and it's doing fine.

Feels zippy enough as well :)

Cheers,

Justin

Hey guys, I heard a story yesterday thats a bit of a worry, a friend told me of his friend who picked up his new 307 and on the first day he was cruzing along when his son reached forward to grab a drink from the cup holder and accidently bumped the T bar and it fell forward past neutral, past reverse and into park and bits of transmission went everywhere. Of course its being fixed under warranty but the T bar shouldn't be able to select reverse or park while driving, if it did it would be an instant RWC failer, I wonder how many more new unroadworthy cars there selling.

David.

It does sound possible :(

It's not hard to shift from drive to neutral, as the stick only has to go forwards (ie. up). From neutral (let me try & remember this) it's a shift up and to the right. It's quite easy to use in daily practise, you don't have to press any buttons, just have to press the brake to get it out of park (it's locked in park).

Otherwise, how is your friend finding the 307? Which engine?

Cheers,

Justin

Actually, while I was stationary today, I decided to simulate a move from drive into reverse - it's very easy actually, it just slides diagnonally and would be easy to do accidentally.

I believe the 607 would also suffer from this problem, and perhaps the 206 & 406, as they too use the dog leg gate.

Brrr it's cold here, 6°.

Cheers,

Justin

Hi guys I am new to this forum.
I am not yet a Peugeot owner but my 307 will arrive soon.

Do you guys think the 307 deserves to win the European car of 2002 award?

Who is the dealer u bought the car from? Silve, nice colour......and u have cruise contorl as well (no in my 2001 model)..tell me ur rego...so i can say hello to u on the street :) ........So far, i have seen a cheery red, a silver, two blacks, and one gold XSE on the street........My rego is AKV-80D...in gold. Shouldn't be difficult to spot me in the city! :D :D

cheers
gary

Gary:
Who is the dealer u bought the car from? Silve, nice colour......and u have cruise contorl as well (no in my 2001 model)..tell me ur rego...so i can say hello to u on the street :) ........So far, i have seen a cheery red, a silver, two blacks, and one gold XSE on the street........My rego is AKV-80D...in gold. Shouldn't be difficult to spot me in the city! :D :D

cheers
gary
I will have cruise contorl in my car? Are you sure about that? (I never ask about it)

I bought it from Peugoet on Crown. After comparing the price from 3 other dealers (parramatta, Arncliffe & Artarmon).

Although I still haven't seen my car yet, I have a number plate being held in RTA already...
its OKK-00K

:cool:

Hello moO moO:

Year 2002 models have cruise control as standard equip.. (I think both on manual and auto). My boss has a 2000 306XT manual and he has shown me how to use the cruise control....it works just like the one in automatic. U want more speed, just step on the clutch and kick down one gear....the computer will take care the throttle......u don't have to put ur foot on it....it's very handy on the freeway........

Ask ur dealer about this...this is the only difference between 2001 and 2002 models.... :)

Do u mind if I ask u the price of ur car and also other prices given by other dealers :rolleyes: .....I have done the same....but I ended up with Arncliff Peugeot.....I like to know the difference.....(Please sent me a private email if u find it confidential and private!) Thanks wink wink

It's a nice plate OKK-00K.....what does it mean?

got to go...!

cheers
Gary

Hi Gary

I have sent a email to your hotmail account.

:p

BTW...How much did the other dealers offer you?

<small>[ 29 May 2002, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: moO moO nEL ]</small>

Hi Guys, James here from the performance upgrades forum.
Would any one be interested in trying our 80 to 120 kph "virtual drag" challenge in a 307 ?

Post in Performance Upgrades forum. tongue