306xsi

Blakeynz

Fellow Frogger
hi im wanting to see if you guys can give me any brand names for some springs to lower my pug. i cant seem to find any in nz - but i havent really looked - it seems the cator mostly for the jap cars. any suggestions? also for better performance from the engine what kind of filter do u think i should get? also should i take the catalytic converter out? its a 94 xsi. Thanks heaps!! o yeah i was going to get it colour coded but am not too sure if i should take the black trim off myself - or is it easy to break the clips that hold the mouldings onto the car? again hope you have time to help! cheers.

Try these guys kingsprings@bigpond.com they should be able to point you in the right direction. :)

There is also a web site with a NZ distributor listed <a href="http://www.kingsprings.com/" target="_blank">http://www.kingsprings.com/</a> :)

Both Eichbach and Sprintex sell lowered springs that match the valve rates in the stock front struts, then get the rear tortion bar set right, most good pug service guys can do this, in NZ ummmm not sure though. Just make sure they are model specific to your XSi and that they are captive. As for colour coding it makes the earlier cars look more new and its not dificult to remove the side mouldings, just go easy, remember u probably got a 4 door XSi (in the UK they get 3 door RHD, and many other variations) 306 and their rear body bits are not as common as the 2door. good luck Bro!....kidn
X 8_ball

<small>[ 17 July 2002, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: xqisid ]</small>

Yeah ive spoken to a guy in auckland regarding the springs - how come i should get a rear torsion bar rather than back springs? also is there any real advantage in me taking the mouldings off? hahah i actually have a 3 door xsi just to let you know! diablo red and sexy. what kind of filter should i get for my engine? induction kit? cheers!!!

pugrambo:
maybe because you don't have rear springs
just a thought
lol....come on! Give the lad a break!

ya bloody smart ass! why dont they have rear srpings? and is a rear torsion bar suppose to balance out the effect of the front springs? also i saw a picture under the bonnet of a pug and there was a bar going across from the springs - look like it was to keep them level - what is this for? and ya think its worthwile getting it? many thanks from the docile one

The bar going across the engine bay is a strut brace. It ties the two suspension struts together (and sometime even the firewall) to make the whole unit more ridgid. It's effect is only as much as what the car has lacking in its structural ridgidity.

I will be getting one soon so I will keep you posted on how it goes.

yeah ok
i didn't mean that comment to be sarcastic so please forgive me
now then on with the thread
a torsion bar and a compression spring are bassically the same thing but in different forms
take this for example
if you have springs in a car and you shorten them they became stiffer this is because a spring really is only a lever
the longer a lever means less effort to move an item and the shorter makes it harder to move the same item
springs in a car do the same thing
now then a torsion bar takes the place of a spring in the rear of the 306's
one and is attached to the pivoting arm on the rear and the other is attached in situ so as not to move
so, when the arm is moved it is acting apon intertia
remembering for every action there is an equal reaction
so, when the bar is "twisted" in one direction the force is applied back to return it to it's original position
now then making the bar shorter which isn't a viable option in the car will make this bar stiffer so to alleviate this problem you can obtain a bar that is physically thicker and thus stronger (stiffer) they are normally also tempered to give the bar it's elasticity (bendability)
you then have the shocks on the car to dampen the bouncing motion which would happen if they weren't there
OK to try this just get a 300mm ruler and place the end of it over the edge of a table with about 50 mm on the table, pull the end of it down and watch it bounce
then do the same thing this time only this time have 150mm on the table and notice the difference
this theory applies to the springs and torsion bars in you car
i hope this helps you out
once again i didn't mean anything nasty by what i said earlier i thought you knew that you had torsion bars in the rear of your car
my apologies

Dear God i feel maybe now i am getting a grasp on this whole car - and springs thing! Ha hahaha no i didnt take offence at your somewhat snide remark - it made me laugh! I appreciate that most people on here - letalone the educated world - would know about springs, torsion bars and the fact that my pug has just this very instrument at the back. I had a quote from a supplier of eibach in nz for some front springs for about 360+gst then there was the torsion bar - he neglected (or rather i did) to give a quote for this. How does that sound for a price - or should i just get some springs made up for me (i have a quote for this and they are considerably cheaper - about 300 all up)would love to have some advice on this. also can you suggest a filter for my engine? thanks heaps for your help guys. Hey pugrambo has anyone told you your nick reminds people of that character from the beano comics - prambo? wicked!