306 XTDT to 307 HDi?

amcc

Fellow Frogger
dad has a '96 306 XTDT with 210,000 on the clock. His mechanic wants it. Should he part with it and look for a S/H 307 HDi - or go sporty and look for a 306 GTi6?

If he wants a GTi6 he should go for it.

Don't forget the last of the 306 HDi's though. Superb car.

amcc said:
dad has a '96 306 XTDT with 210,000 on the clock. His mechanic wants it. Should he part with it and look for a S/H 307 HDi - or go sporty and look for a 306 GTi6?

if he prefers to stick with the last of the good pugs then i would say stay with a 306
don't let him go the 307 route
he may well regret not having a pug :D

Same here, that is what turn me off for the 307 and the 306 HDi cos no intercooler for extra fuel economy.

I really wanted a diesel.....but a GTi-6 came up for sale. I got that instead.

From fuel miser to rev head..hehehhe :headbang:

Cheers
Billy

BW205 said:
Same here, that is what turn me off for the 307 and the 306 HDi cos no intercooler for extra fuel economy.

I really wanted a diesel.....but a GTi-6 came up for sale. I got that instead.

From fuel miser to rev head..hehehhe :headbang:

Cheers
Billy

Yes, the 406 HDI is faster and gives around a litre per hundred better
economy, even though it is a fair bit heavier. You definitely need the
intercooler.

Graham Wallis

GRAHAM WALLIS said:
Yes, the 406 HDI is faster and gives around a litre per hundred better
economy, even though it is a fair bit heavier. You definitely need the
intercooler.

Graham Wallis

i have heard of people fitting intercoolers to 306's but havrn't heard anything about the 307's yet
they really need one in my opinion
otherwise buy a petrol 306 or a diesel 405/6

One of our 307 list members has done some research into intercooling the DW10TD in the 307 HDi 90. A few members have complained about how much power they lose with temperature - turbos are especially sensitive to intake air temperature (absolute bliss at Euro winter temperatures :))

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/peugeot-307/message/1818

It appears the cost to intercool the car purchasing parts from an Aussie Peugeot dealer would amount to about $1700!

I think it'll be hard to find 307 HDis second hand, they stil are fairly fresh on the market.

Pug307 said:
One of our 307 list members has done some research into intercooling the DW10TD in the 307 HDi 90. A few members have complained about how much power they lose with temperature - turbos are especially sensitive to intake air temperature (absolute bliss at Euro winter temperatures :))

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/peugeot-307/message/1818

It appears the cost to intercool the car purchasing parts from an Aussie Peugeot dealer would amount to about $1700!

I think it'll be hard to find 307 HDis second hand, they stil are fairly fresh on the market.

how much would it cost from a non peugeot supplier and get it fitted by a reputable mob ?

pugrambo said:
how much would it cost from a non peugeot supplier and get it fitted by a reputable mob ?
We have a list of parts from the UK and that came up to GBP 335 or about $810 excl VAT.

pugrambo said:
if he prefers to stick with the last of the good pugs then i would say stay with a 306
don't let him go the 307 route
he may well regret not having a pug :D

I totally agree. Especially after pranging my flat mate's 207 the other day, I now have an even higher disliking for that car.

What kind of power increase would be amde by fitting the cooler on the HDI motor???

Cya Stalled

GTI124 said:
I totally agree. Especially after pranging my flat mate's 207 the other day, I now have an even higher disliking for that car.
What's the story there?

STALLED said:
What kind of power increase would be amde by fitting the cooler on the HDI motor???
20HP, or about 14kW.

According to the HDi driver on the list, there is potentially up to 180HP in that engine as it is in a very low state of tune.

Wow, 14kw for just donking a intercooler on the HDI! I was surprised that this much power would be available! This would bring the HDI motor up to 80kw (correct me if i am wrong) Certainly no hot hatch but pretty good considering its a economy based diesel!

Cya Stalled

You all missed the orriginal segmant dad's pug is not a 306 hdi it is a 306 XTDT, diesle terbo and it does have an intercooler and it kicks like a sloth. The car is to say the least a little sluggish although after saying this it is very nice to drive.

Apparently this is a rare model to, being a 306 XTDT hatch.

I thinck he should get a 306gti6 but i don't think he would get 900 to 1,000 km per tank in that, and if he did i would be worried that he was not having any fun.

Anyones personal experience with buying a 306gti6 and what they are like would go down nicely as would any pointers towards more info about this car.

amcc said:
You all missed the orriginal segmant dad's pug is not a 306 hdi it is a 306 XTDT, diesle terbo and it does have an intercooler and it kicks like a sloth. The car is to say the least a little sluggish although after saying this it is very nice to drive.

Apparently this is a rare model to, being a 306 XTDT hatch.

I thinck he should get a 306gti6 but i don't think he would get 900 to 1,000 km per tank in that, and if he did i would be worried that he was not having any fun.

Anyones personal experience with buying a 306gti6 and what they are like would go down nicely as would any pointers towards more info about this car.

early 306 diesels had the 405 turbo diesel engine in them and as far as i know they weren't intercooled
has your father had the car from new ?
if not has someone somewhere along the line fitted the intercooler as i have heard of it bieng done to the 306's
all of the early 306 diesels i have seen have all been hatches and i was lead to believe that all 306's sold here were hatch backs
as for GTi-6's i can't comment on buying a 2nd hand one as i bought mine new in 98
they are like any car though
if they are looked after nothing should go wrong

All N3 XTdt's were hatchbacks.

All N5 XTdt's and HDi's were sedans.

From memory, the XTdt motor was intercooled but the later HDi motors were not.

I'd recommend a drive of the HDi. It's a bit of alright.

You will feel the seriously lack of low down torque on the GTi-6 as compare to your 306 XTDT. Well, I felt that just driving back to back the 205 GTi and the GTi-6.

I still manage to get about 720km or 7.75l/100km out of a tank of fuel with combined city and highway driving for the GTi-6.

CHeers
Billy