306 XT clicking noise (relay??)

sysiphus

Fellow Frogger
Hiyas,

Newbie question time again ;) My 98 306 has just started making a strange clicking noise randomly, which sounds rather like the indicator noise. At first, it was just in bursts after I'd indicated.. but this morning when I hopped in the car, it was doing it constantly. Turning the wipers on/off didn't do anything (I'd left them on rain-sensing, so I thought it worth a try), likewise indicating didn't stop it - while indicating, I could just hear the normal noise, indicator off and it went back to a faster rate of clicking.

ARGH!

And.. to top it off... the service-indicator has suddenly zero'd. It should have about 5000km to go (it's been counting down nicely) but this morning - 0!.

So.. any thoughts on what might be causing this? :)

Thanks all,
Dave.

...ahhhh the indicator stalk clicking again rises its ugly head. One of the 306's trademark. Take the car to a good service center and explain your problem.
Its not something i recommend as poking around there on a 306 could lead to an air-bag failure/setoff if you are not careull.
How ever if you are VERY comfy and confident in you own ability then have ago at replacing the unit youself.
Do a search (here on AF) as i know this topic has been around before. good luck-chris

sysiphus said:
Hiyas,

Newbie question time again ;) My 98 306 has just started making a strange clicking noise randomly, which sounds rather like the indicator noise. At first, it was just in bursts after I'd indicated.. but this morning when I hopped in the car, it was doing it constantly. Turning the wipers on/off didn't do anything (I'd left them on rain-sensing, so I thought it worth a try), likewise indicating didn't stop it - while indicating, I could just hear the normal noise, indicator off and it went back to a faster rate of clicking.

ARGH!

And.. to top it off... the service-indicator has suddenly zero'd. It should have about 5000km to go (it's been counting down nicely) but this morning - 0!.

So.. any thoughts on what might be causing this? :)

Thanks all,
Dave.

Hello,
Your not alone... N3, N5's all have this problem from time to time.. :disappr: The indicator stalk it's self is to blame... :mad: as advised by Chris16 :approve: taking the car to a dealer is the easy option and should set you back around $150... Get done sooner rather than later as I have seen melted dashes... (rare though!!)

PS If you Really want to DIY Let me know I'll give you the part number and a guide to the method...

Good luck.. :afplak: :pugplak:

Thanks for the advice, everybody... guess it's just something to put on "the list" when I take this baby in for its first real service.

*sigh*

Thanks again :)

J4RS said:
Hello,
Your not alone... N3, N5's all have this problem from time to time.. :disappr: The indicator stalk it's self is to blame... :mad: as advised by Chris16 :approve: taking the car to a dealer is the easy option and should set you back around $150... Get done sooner rather than later as I have seen melted dashes... (rare though!!)

In case anyone's interested, I haven't managed to get the relay fixed yet.. but as I was just driving home, a small plume of electrical smoke blossomed from my steering column.

"Oh bother" says Dave, <small>as he calls his auto-leccy man to book the car in for Tuesday</small>

*sigh*

Guess I won't be driving the old girl this weekend ;)