306 xsi transmission oil fill and drain plugs?

jimmyhackers

Tadpole
Tadpole
there is a 19mm bolt on the side of the gearbox to the rear.....im guessing this is the fill level plug? (green circle)

there is a 13mm bolt of the front of the gearbox facing forwards/down....im guessing this is the drain plug? (red circle)

i couldnt see any others and wondered if they were as i have guessed?

Attachments

• smaller drain.jpg
    smaller drain.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 35
just had a tinker.....garage had overfilled by 800ml...and one/both of the things ive circled seem to be fill level plugs.
the actual drain plug is at the rear. the big chonky thing with a sqaure hole in it. (circled in blue)

Attachments

• smaller drain.jpg
    smaller drain.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 34
As above. In this drawing of the BE3 transmission 12 is the drain, 13 is the fill point.

be.png

You'd still need the level hole open unless you measured the fill quantity. I use a large oil syringe that takes care of the end hole. Over 50 years old, it is brass. New ones are plastic.

thanks for the info.......i guess i wont be undoing that 13mm bolt again.
im just glad i didnt cock something up inside the gearbox :D

mines a BE3 gearbox (205) also and have always used the plastic breather hole (10 in pic) to fill and the diff plug (blue circle) to drain

Adrian, why do you put it in reverse before filling, and Seasink why have the level hole open ?

am I doing it wrong ?

Putting it in reverse moves the shifter mechanism inside the box away from the breather and allows the oil to flow in better. No need to have a level hole open, just put two litres in. Job done