306 Tyre

Dr. 306

Fellow Frogger
I'm currently running P6000 tyres on my car.

I would estimate I've done about 15,000kms on them.

The problem I have now is that one of my tyre's has had a bung? in the tyre wall form and I need to replace it. I'm wondering... would it be best to replace two tyres instead of just one and then hopefully somehow over time wear all the tyres out together... I'd also like to put a better performance tyre onto the car. Any suggestions/recommendations for this problem would be greatly appreciated. :)

Lincoln, please pick up the white courtesy phone :D

BTW what rim size and tyre width/profile is on it right now, that'll be useful as some tyres might not be available in your size..

im in the same situation. I've done 5kms on mine and got a nice bolt in it so now using the spare which is P6000 (new) was thinking to change the other one to a P6000 as well :confused:

Try and find a second hand P6000 in your size would be my recommendation. Use your spare if it is a P6000 and get a second hand spare.

Otherwise, have a look at the 195/55R15 thread, if you're running that size. I assume you are if you're running P6000s

- Lincoln

The specs for my tyres are:

Drive tyres: 205/55 R15

Spare tyre: 195/55 R15

I'd like to change the drive tyres to being 195 as the 205 size looks to big and I don't think its gives the greatest stability, road feel when driving.

Last edited:
In that case, try and get a second hand P6000 in that size. If you can't try and grab a second hand pair of 205/55s. I used the guys in Milperra when I needed a spare tyre after it fell off the rack...make sure you tighten that nut all the way!

I agree on switching back to 195, I've driven a GTi6 with 205 and it wasn't very nice.

What do you think the chances are that the tyre may explode or whatever due to the bung in the tyre wall? It would make for an interesting experience...

Dr. 306 said:
The specs for my tyres are:

Drive tyres: 205/55 R15

Spare tyre: 195/55 R15

I'd like to change the drive tyres to being 195 as the 205 size looks to big and I don't think its gives the greatest stability, road feel when driving.

I fonud the same thing. I had Dunlop W10's 205/50/15. These buldged on the edges and were VERY noisy. I now Have Falken Azenis SP115 195/50/15 and these are 200% better in noise and grip.

BTW, what's the consensous on 2nd hand tyres? What type of savings do you get on slightly worn performance tyres like FM901's and would these even be likely to be avaliable 2nd hand?

Dr. 306 said:
What do you think the chances are that the tyre may explode or whatever due to the bung in the tyre wall? It would make for an interesting experience...

A high chance. I wouldn't risk it.

Re: second hand tyres, finding 195/55R15s isn't easy at all. I did pick up a Michelin Pilot SX GT though, and that's a decent tyre. 80% tread left for $120.

FM901s would be harder to find, the Michelin above was an OEM tyre on Xsara VTS...not sure what else. Maybe MX5?

Dr. 306 said:
What's the average kms that can be done on P6000s?

well i still have 2 originals on the rear of the GTi-6
had the car since new
they are getting lowish now
they were on the front
car has just clicked 100k
ok i drive pretty easily in the car and they are on the rear now so they don't wear as much as the front ones and i do country driving
they can wear fast or slow
it all depends on your driving habits
BTW i still have original discs and pads as well :D

30,000 - 40,000 would be fairly normal.

I got 7000kms out of a set once, when my suspension wasn't set up correctly.

That's not what I want to hear...

I'm going to have to do so many more km's before I can justify getting some new and better performance tyres :mad:

I think we should all go on some cruises more often.

See if any tyre shops will give you a "trade in" on your current tyres against new ones. 205/55 is a fairly common size nowadays and they should be able to offload them easily, and they get a sale of not so easy to sell 195/55 tyres.
They wont give a lot for them, but it will set you up for a lot of driving on new tyres that are right for the car.
You dont have to spend mega bucks on tyres, pretty much anything in a 195/55 profile is going to half decent and will handle better than too big and bulgy 205/55s.

I got 56,000kms out of the original P6000s on the GTi6.

No, I have absolutely no idea how they ended up lasting that long, either :roflmao:

rek said:
I got 56,000kms out of the original P6000s on the GTi6.

No, I have absolutely no idea how they ended up lasting that long, either :roflmao:

I'd like to see how many kays you could get out of a set of Certises :roflmao:

Dr. 306 said:
That's not what I want to hear...

I'm going to have to do so many more km's before I can justify getting some new and better performance tyres :mad:

I think we should all go on some cruises more often.

Don't see what the problem is. If they were worn out right now, you'd replace them. Just consider them worn out and get some new ones that you like. I don't see the problem, really.

Otherwise, you could try and sell them to a second hand place and use the funds to buy a new set. If you're strapped for cash get a set of Kumho Ecsta 712s, or just get 2 now... they're $115-$120 each.

I found the receipt for the last time I put tyres on a car $823.50

If I was prepared to pay this amout again what would be your recommendation?

Remembering that I would hopefully be getting alot better perfomance that the current tyres... or do I need to pay more than this?

That's $205 per tyre. That's heaps.

Get the top 3 I said in the 195/55 thread. FM901, AVS ES100 or Pilot Preceda. Or if you want better peformance get some Azenis RS from Tempe Tyres.