306 s16 - starter motor

Ok, so judging by the picture below (from this other thread):
index.php

... the way to go is to remove the plastic bit of the manifold ('A' in the pic I found) - can certainly see/access the starter motor with that off! Is there a guide to removing that anywhere?

I'm particularly interested to know if there is stuff that
(a) is not obvious, but I will definitely need to remove
(b) I may think needs to be removed, but which I should actually leave well alone.

That is the modern starter, easy to work on and parts available. Brush sets and solenoids.

Three hex driven blots coming from gearbox side and the gearbox is the holder that keeps it aligned with flywheel.

Changing the starter while the engine is in the car is much harder than I thought it would be.

Starter motors not all exactly the same. But easy enough to swap the mounting plates over.

IMG_20230705_150259782_800x602_200.jpg
IMG_20230705_150216826_800x1063_200.jpg

The one on the left/at the bottom is a 306 s16 one. The other one is off a 206, allegedly. Different sized bolts. Different arrangement for locating dowel.

Motor and solenoid comes off in one piece; straight swap on to the original mounting plate.

I've got used XU starters for $25 each. They need to go, have too many!

Thanks Graham, but car starts now. Replacement starter motor and solenoid with original mounting plate. Car all put back together with no obvious casualties. New starter spins up every time and spins much more freely than the old one ever did. So, yay.

I honestly can't imagine doing that job without taking out the battery box and removing the plastic inlet manifold; just not enough space, even for my desk jockey build arms and hands.