306 S16 restoration/upgrades

Who is ECU master then? Close to me as well, may copy your idea on an xu10j4r

Not too worried about 10.4:1 as I'll be adding a turbo down the road and it'll be needing around 10.4:1 for the compression at that point. If I go much more in compression it'll be too high for the turbo. Though I'll probably do a GTi-6 head swap at that point too for the dual springs on the valves and better exhaust flow.
I wouldn't get too hung up about having a GTi6 head. The difference in flow is probably made up wth 0.5psi of boost. It's more important to build the head correctly in terms of valve seat spring pressure to suit boost and positioning of the cams. The S16 cams are bigger than the GTi6 cams anyway, in terms of duration. The exhaust flow of an XU10J4 head is exceptional.

I'm currently building an XU10J4 boosted race engine and it's 10:1 for use with E85. With E85 you can run considerably more CR but I want the option of running 98 for endurance races. Thus I'll also run a flex sensor.

Being FWD, you should be paying more attention to ECU choice. Motec definitely has the edge in this department when it comes to closed loop boost control and boost by gear. Otherwise you'll spend more time rebuilding gearboxes than enjoying your car.

Hmm interesting, didn't realise the J4 head was so good. Though this isn't intended for race, just for road and maybe the odd track day while doing a little future proofing of the fuel system.

Speaking of exhaust flow, would it be worth opening up the holes and having them merge in the head instead of having dual pipes in the header?

The track car is a bit different and that's gonna need an Evo gearbox ;)

Last edited:
Mine just merge after the flange.

Attachments

• IMG_9610 small.jpg
    IMG_9610 small.jpg
    625.5 KB · Views: 88
Oh that does look interesting. I was thinking of porting to a blade at the edge of the head and using an oval opening into the exhaust header.

BTW this is the ECU I was looking at on recommendation from a friend of mine who does Rallying in Portugal. Ran this in his 205 Mi16:

Will do thanks. Was always after a Motec for my 205, but never managed to get enough to sort it when I was in the UK. Life's a bit different now ;)

If you look past all the anecdotes and "purity" garbage, does boosting an xu10j4r work well? I imagine it would make a great road car engine. How often can you really wring the neck of an n/a car on the street anyway?

Also speaking of anecdotal chat, I once read somewhere here that back in the day the one of the V8 supercar teams copied the xu10j4r head design as the flow was so good. Nice story if true.

If you put them side by side, and get your inside and outside calipers out, you'll find that XU9J4, XU10J4 and XU10J4R heads are identical. ie in terms of valve sizes and port volumes.

Hmm just looking for injector alternatives for the short term and found the Ford EA Falcon's seem to have a 220cc injector that's the same setup as the Peugeot ones just 20cc larger (so matching the GTi-6 I believe). Much cheaper to buy here too...

From what I can see the nozzle is identical and has the same 14mm o-ring layout and are 77mm. Should be a direct fit.

Just ordered a set so will see how they fare. Hopefully they fit fine as 8 were about the cost of 1 of the Peugeot ones.

I'm somewhat confused why you're installing bigger injectors into an otherwise standard engine?

Unless the engine is modified to use up the additional fuel, it will run rich and the ECU send up fault codes, because it can't maintain lambda. I've done several modified XU10J4 engines, with different cams, increased CR etc. My usual trick is to use XU9 (Mi16 or GTi) injectors, which are 216cc. With std injectors the AFR's at full load are typically 13.3:1 and with the 1.9L injectors, it drops back to 13:1.

Additionally, I use a different chip in the ECU. The standard mapping maintains 14.7:1 under full load right until the end, maybe 6000, when it richens to 13:1. My chip richens the AFR's gradually, resulting in smoother response and more torque at part throttle. I'd install that, before anything else.

Not going to be used for long. I just didn't want to pay nearly $100 per injector for the Peugeot ones when these are only 20cc more than stock. It's purely a test that's only costing $120. If it fails then it fails, but could be a cheaper source of injectors. With only 4cc difference to the GTi-6 injectors it may even be an option for GTi-6 owners.

Unless of course there's somewhere that has Peugeot injectors for around $16 per injector?

I'm going for an E85 conversion soon on the car so they won't be on there for long anyway. Car won't be run much with them unless they prove ok. It's more just for curiosity than anything :D

Oh I have 4 spare injectors in the other S16 if these don't work in the short term. Just gonna be a little time to get the parts for the E85 conversion.

Where did you get that chip for the ECU or do you make them?

You're right. Even if you had four 1.9L injectors laying around, it would cost you $100+ to have them serviced.

I can't really claim ownership for the chip. I found the data somewhere on the internet, copied it, made a chip, tested and found it performed as I described above. I charge a minimal fee, just to cover the cost of a chip, my time to burn it, package and post. PM me for details.

Something that's quite interesting is that ECU Master Black ECU has Drive By Wire built in, so no need for an extra module and the pricing is very competitive vs Motec. Motec would be slightly easier to use to begin with as I've a little experience with it already, but price wise that ECU Master is hard to pass up.

Hmm, just looking into electric power steering instead of the pump on the alternator belt. Is it worth the effort to remove that from there and put in an electric setup (there's a few available that may do the job)?

Hmm, just looking into electric power steering instead of the pump on the alternator belt. Is it worth the effort to remove that from there and put in an electric setup (there's a few available that may do the job)?
Popular on track Clio 1X2's. Although they generally use the electric column from a base model and loop the rack.

Saxo/106 used an electric pump for the hydraulic rack I think? Is that what you were thinking of doing?

Popular on track Clio 1X2's. Although they generally use the electric column from a base model and loop the rack.

Saxo/106 used an electric pump for the hydraulic rack I think? Is that what you were thinking of doing?
Something like that, I've seen some reconditioned units that are prepped for track days with stronger internals, better pumps etc.

Didn't know the Saxo's and 106's had an electric pump, so good info that. I was thinking hydraulic with electric pump, though most of the results were volvo units :D