306 S16 camshaft belt snapped yesterday

Plus the water pump where that's driven by the cam belt. Even if the bearing doesn't fail, the pump is likely to leak if you go again with it and expect it to last the full interval. Often you must replace the timing belt when replacing the water pump.
Gates suggest storage for a new timing belt is OK up to 6 years under 30C. NOS is probably not a good option for a timing belt and you should try to get them fresh rather than storing in your box of parts for a decade. Anyone got thoughts on how aged belts fare once fitted? They are incredibly robust belts, but would you take the punt?

I'm getting my C4 (GTi 180 engine) belt done tomorrow. Only 45K but over 5 years old.

Yeah ..I have about 10mm belts hanging in my garden shed from my workshop days(been out of it 24years this year)every time I look at than I think now what garden art can I create with them..coz certainly not going to fit them to an engine..well unless it’s garden art engine..haha

They can be repurposed as pipe hangers or perhaps give that old tyre garden swan some extra plumage?