306 parts list: 1 x Plastic Bag ?!?!?!

pptn

Fellow Frogger
Hello all,

I always thought there was a real lack of information available for froggers in Australia until I discovered this site. good work! Though, as my techinical knowledge is mostly limited, I don't really have much info to contribute, only questions... :blush:

This probably sounds stupid, but is the steering gear assembly and shaft meant to be covered by a PLASTIC BAG?!?!?!

Here's the long story if you want to know...
I've got a 98 306 Style (1.8L 16V - the xu..jp4 or whatever it is...). Anyhow, lately the car has been rather sluggish, and fuel economy has been less than spectacular (around 8.5-9L/100kms). To the point, yesterday morning it decided to have one of its revving fits, "idling" at around 2000rpm, and at times fluctuating around 3half to 4000. This had happened on one previous occassion over a year ago, but only for 10 minutes or so. This time it was for the whole drive into work in peak hour traffic (around 50 minutes) and on the way home.

Peeking under the bonnet, I looked for anything obvious, and there it was, an orange plastic bag covering the steering shaft where it attatches to the drive shaft (from the left, behind below the engine block near the extractor). Thinking it was obviously out of place, I ripped it out, though it looked very snug and almost "fitted".

The result was fantastic, as the car regained some of its spirit that had been lost some time ago. But from looking at an underbody image in a service manual, I could swear the plastic bag is meant to be there!

What do ya think?

Yup, it belongs there. Mine's actually just developed a tear in it :( Due for service soon so I guess I'll get it replaced :confused:

Derek.

Thanks for the reassurance..
seems like a silly place to use a plastic bag... you'd think it melt before it tore.

Looks like I'll need to get a new one popped in then. And if the service centre tells me they're expensive, I let them know I can supply my own!

Any ideas how/why/if it was affecting idling or causing rev fluctuations? I know it's common, but for some reason, no Pug garage will tell me exactly how it could happen. I understand there can be varying factors, but if it's a common problem, then surely there'd be some consistency in the cause.. or am I just getting a bit paranoid?

pptn said:
Any ideas how/why/if it was affecting idling or causing rev fluctuations? I know it's common, but for some reason, no Pug garage will tell me exactly how it could happen. I understand there can be varying factors, but if it's a common problem, then surely there'd be some consistency in the cause.. or am I just getting a bit paranoid?

Idling problems in a 306 can usually be traced to three factors, in no particular order

1. spark plugs/leads. I've never had a problem with leads, but in both 306's I've had, new spark plugs has made the idle much smoother. I use Beru UXF79's from Auto France in Artarmon - 4 electrode plugs

2. Idle stepper motor
If the Idle stepper motor is clogged up with goo/gum (which is more likely if it's been run on standard ULP I believe) it won't be able to properly regulate the idle speed. Do a search for the idle stepper motor on the forum. You'll find the solution... clean it out using petrol. Once it's clean, lubricate with silicon spray and the problem will be sorted

3. Goo/gum/gunk in the PCV system. If the pipes or PCV valve are blocked, it's unlikely your engine will run properly at all.

Hope that helps :D

Derek.

pptn said:
Thanks for the reassurance..
seems like a silly place to use a plastic bag... you'd think it melt before it tore.

Looks like I'll need to get a new one popped in then. And if the service centre tells me they're expensive, I let them know I can supply my own!

Let me know how you go with finding a solution - I seem to be getting nowhere fast! ;) My 98 XT (16v engine too) is doing exactly the same thing, although it DID stop it for a couple of weeks.

Funnily enough, the two weeks it stopped behaving like a freak were the two weeks I was running it on standard PULP (instead of 98RON). Filled up last week with Optimax and whammo - silly revvy behaviour.

ARGH!

I also used a bottle of injector cleaner in the first tank of 95ron PULP, and as the car behaved itself after that I thought "Great!". But.. it would seem it wasn't that. The idle stepper motor has (supposedly :p) been replaced, and has been "reset" a number of times..

What else could be causing the problem? Whenever I've asked, it's always been "idle stepper motor". Could it be the o2 sensor or something? (Note: mechanical aptitude minimal over here ;)).

Dave.

sysiphus said:
I also used a bottle of injector cleaner in the first tank of 95ron PULP, and as the car behaved itself after that I thought "Great!". But.. it would seem it wasn't that. The idle stepper motor has (supposedly :p) been replaced, and has been "reset" a number of times..

What else could be causing the problem? Whenever I've asked, it's always been "idle stepper motor". Could it be the o2 sensor or something? (Note: mechanical aptitude minimal over here ;)).

It could be injectors. Paul Vassallo gets me to run (all the time... since I've had the car) a Neo Racing injector cleaner. Apparently (according to him) results in more power due to better atomisation of fuel ... I'm not sure about that claim but anyway!! ... and clean injectors.

It's unlikely to be the o2 sensor, because as far as I know the o2 sensor controls mixture when not running at idle.

You can get an idea if there's a problem with the idle stepper motor from a pretty simple test... what does the motor do when returning to idle from fairly high revs? If, on the return to idle it overshoots and comes down to say.. 500 rpm and sounds like it's going to stall, it means the idle stepper motor (which basically controls throttle input at idle, increases the revs if the air con comes on, etc) is able to bring the revs to the right level quick enough.

Derek :cool:

DeKa said:
It could be injectors. Paul Vassallo gets me to run (all the time... since I've had the car) a Neo Racing injector cleaner. Apparently (according to him) results in more power due to better atomisation of fuel ... I'm not sure about that claim but anyway!! ... and clean injectors.

It's unlikely to be the o2 sensor, because as far as I know the o2 sensor controls mixture when not running at idle.

You can get an idea if there's a problem with the idle stepper motor from a pretty simple test... what does the motor do when returning to idle from fairly high revs? If, on the return to idle it overshoots and comes down to say.. 500 rpm and sounds like it's going to stall, it means the idle stepper motor (which basically controls throttle input at idle, increases the revs if the air con comes on, etc) is able to bring the revs to the right level quick enough.

Derek :cool:

I'm fairly sure it's not doing that - if anything, with the 98ron it seems quite reluctant to slow revs down... sometimes behaves as if the throttle is "stuck" open for a second or so after I take my foot off it. Then there's a (slight, but noticable) lurch and she slows down.

The reason I'm wondering if its the o2 sensor is that the problem could be mixture-related -- if the o2 sensor is boned, would the car adjust properly for the higher-RON fuel?

I guess I should get her serviced.. did some research, and discovered that this car hasn't had a real service (ie, anything other than a lube) for over 18 months!! And she's about to tick over 100,000.......

Funny.. why did my wallet just leap off the table and start making a run for the door? ;)

sysiphus said:
I guess I should get her serviced.. did some research, and discovered that this car hasn't had a real service (ie, anything other than a lube) for over 18 months!! And she's about to tick over 100,000.......

Interesting... in your research, did you see a Cam Belt replacement??? If not, GET YOUR CAR SERVICED ASAP! If you don't, you risk breaking a Cam belt and destroying your engine... 18 months and just ticking over 100 000km to me means it had 70 000km or so on it when last serviced. The cam belt's due at 80 000km / 4 years. You also said it was a 1998 model, which means the cam belt should have hopefully been changed in 2002.

Info here: http://www.peugeot.com.au/PEUGEOT/AU/me.get?site.sectionshow&FFFF482

Derek

Get them to check the inegrity of the engine speed sensor. Mine went and the car wouldn't idle, but it would run fine under throttle.

DeKa said:
Interesting... in your research, did you see a Cam Belt replacement??? If not, GET YOUR CAR SERVICED ASAP! If you don't, you risk breaking a Cam belt and destroying your engine... 18 months and just ticking over 100 000km to me means it had 70 000km or so on it when last serviced. The cam belt's due at 80 000km / 4 years. You also said it was a 1998 model, which means the cam belt should have hopefully been changed in 2002.

Info here: http://www.peugeot.com.au/PEUGEOT/AU/me.get?site.sectionshow&FFFF482

Derek

Oh yeah.. I checked that! First thing I made sure of, actually. In fact, it hadn't been changed - but I made the dealer stump the cost to get it done before I signed on the dotted line :)

How do they check the integrity of the engine speed sensor?

EDIT: And while I think of it (looking at that link to the Peugeot site)... who is recommended to service my baby in Brisbane? Is it worthwhile getting a "menu-priced service" from an actual Pug dealer??? Or should I just go somewhere else?

Anywhere I _shouldn't_ take it, for that matter?

Last edited: