306 GTI-6 mountain run

Daelin Lis

Tadpole
Took the GTI-6 on its first proper run in 5 months last weekend. The weather has been horrible, and I want to look after the car so I don’t drive it in anger every weekend.

I went up to Montville via Mt Mee and Maleny which is about 1.5-2 hours north of Brisbane. I was in the car whilst my dad, aunty and uncle were on their motorbikes.

Even in my novice 21 year old amateur hands this car feels so capable. Such linear steering and oh so much grip; never a hint of understeer, even in the really tight stuff.

Even though I’m inexperienced with driving, I don’t think I’ve ever driven another car which a suspension damping/chassis control as good as this. It just shrugs off uneven pieces of road through corners like it’s nothing. The suspension is working but the body is always remarkably flat and stable (as long as you stay on the throttle!) It’s a serious piece of kit in the right hands, and is a constant adrenaline kick. I’d love to see what it’s like in the hands of a pro!

Was a lovely Sunday morning, and I’d always be happy to for drives with fellow enthusiasts in the area.

Attachments

• D7CF7BE4-2763-433E-B622-0295198FBC4C.jpeg
    D7CF7BE4-2763-433E-B622-0295198FBC4C.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 124
Great stuff. Still can't believe what a lucky find that 6 is. Your photo brought back memories. When I was 13ish I lived in Yandina and mum and dad would drive us up into Maleny on the myweekend and go exploring. Think I was in the back of a Toyota corona or a holden Gemini.... So not quite as good as the GTi6.

I have recently purchased a 308 GTI 270 and honestly, what it has in turbo charged pace and modern refinement it's not a patch on the 306 GTi6 or even my current xsi for involvement and a chassis that works with you and the road.

Back in April, on Good Friday, to be exact, we took ours from Canberra to Albury. via the Snowy Mountains. The car was full to the brim with stuff we had to bring back to Tassie for the kids, plus SWMBO was in the passenger seat, plus I know the tyres aren't great. But that drive was so much fun. 80 km of twisty stuff through the national park. And on the next day we went to Melbourne via Beechworth and Myrtleford - there was one 3 km downhill that didn't have a single straight bit! So much fun.
Photo is from inside the national park - we weren't meant to stop, but couldn't help ourselves, we had to look at the scenery.

Attachments

• IMG20220415125114.jpg
    IMG20220415125114.jpg
    520.4 KB · Views: 91
Great stuff. Still can't believe what a lucky find that 6 is. Your photo brought back memories. When I was 13ish I lived in Yandina and mum and dad would drive us up into Maleny on the myweekend and go exploring. Think I was in the back of a Toyota corona or a holden Gemini.... So not quite as good as the GTi6.

I have recently purchased a 308 GTI 270 and honestly, what it has in turbo charged pace and modern refinement it's not a patch on the 306 GTi6 or even my current xsi for involvement and a chassis that works with you and the road.
It’s interesting to see over that amount of time driving dynamics haven’t changed that much. I found the same thing after driving my dad’s partner’s Megane RS. The GTI-6 had the superior chassis and damping control.

Can the GTi-6 still match the 270’s grip?

I often take a Sunday Montville - Maleny trip. It's an awesome area. Take the "Palmwoods Montville Road" turn off next time from either Montville or Palmwoods. Great winding road up or down the hill.

Can the GTi6 match the GTi 270 for grip? Not a chance. But then on the road ultimate grip is not key factor when it comes to enjoyment. The 270 would leave the 6 for dust on an unrestricted road course but I reckon the GTi6 would be more fun.

The other factor is that the speed where the fun happens is is lower and more readily accessible in the GTi6. Unfortunately the advancement of cars structure, stiffness, and overall capabilities makes normal road speeds seem a bit dull.

Can the GTi6 match the GTi 270 for grip? Not a chance. But then on the road ultimate grip is not key factor when it comes to enjoyment. The 270 would leave the 6 for dust on an unrestricted road course but I reckon the GTi6 would be more fun.

The other factor is that the speed where the fun happens is is lower and more readily accessible in the GTi6. Unfortunately the advancement of cars structure, stiffness, and overall capabilities makes normal road speeds seem a bit dull.

Sounds like there needs to be a skid pan day and a few cars to swap in :)

Just like my GTi6 can't match my I20N in the outright speed and handling stakes, but I smile just as much when I'm driving it. The level of engagement and feel kicks in before the adrenaline. IMO.

Just like my GTi6 can't match my I20N in the outright speed and handling stakes, but I smile just as much when I'm driving it. The level of engagement and feel kicks in before the adrenaline. IMO.
I went and drove an i20N. An excellent package. Very nearly relieved me of $37,000...