306 Gti-6 engines run ruff ?

Ray Brown

Fellow Frogger
Hi,
The engine on my 1997 306 GTI 6 runs ruff up to 4000. The problem is worst @ 3000 rpm. The engine vibratation can be felt in the cabin. I took it to a Peugeot dealer who charged me $120 to tell me GTI engines run ruff.

It's kinda like the timing is wrong. The virbration is there from idle. At 4000 rpm the engine is going fast enough to disguise the vibration.

some info:

- engine done 60,000 km
- using 98ron petrol (Shell optimax)
- drives OK . No flat spots. Seems to perform OK. (not that I have driven an other GTI6)
- replaced spark plugs
- spark plugs are not blackened or glazed
- spark plug coils OK.
- ECU does not show any errors
- oxygen sensor OK.
- does not change weather engine is hot or cold
- engine does not ping
- no engine or exhast modifications.
- car moving or not moving.
- engine mounts appear to be OK.

disregard

[ 29 March 2002: Message edited by: Phasis ]</p>

I guess I could say mine would run ruff, when compared to my dad's 97 318is, but its like sweet symphony compared to my GF's 85 Charade.

Its all relative. I remember reading a review of the S16 and they said the engine isnt as refined as others, Laser Lynx etc. I sometimes think its a lttle rough in this same region, but then the next time I think about it, its not. It might have something to do with fuel. I'm testing to see if it only does it when Low on fuel, which it was last time i noted this.

When i got the RWC done when i bought it 18months ago, he said one mount was sus, I havent made any inroads into fixing this yet. May look into it.

Besides, what are you doing under 4000rpm in the first place. :)

[ 29 March 2002: Message edited by: Phasis ]</p>

Ray get your gti on a dyno ( i recomend Silvewater automtive services in Sydney), the S16 and gti's have a semi-programable engine management, could be the air/fuel ratio, could be a strnage tourqe curve that, etc... they can look at this for you....

xqisid - in standard form, the GTi-6s torque curve is pretty well perfect.

I had my standard GTi-6 on a dyno and the torque curve is beautifully flat (I mean, _incredibly_ flat).

I found my engine ran a little rough for a while, but after driving it filled with Optimax/BP Ultimate on long highway trips and hard fangs - all the cobwebs seem cleared out and it's really quite smooth!

It's still a little grumpy when you wake it up in the morning though.

BTW xqisid - have you had some engine management stuff done at silverwater? Interested if they know what they're on about with Pugs. I have a mate with a 200sx who is very happy with their work.

cheers
Adrian

yes this silverwater place does sound promising..anyone else with info on them?

Perhapes it could be the engine mounts. Mine went and it was quite rough below 4000rpm.

in regards to the ruffness, even though most cars in a series get the same programing to the ecu, they will all be diferent even in a small way. Put the gti-6 on a dyno to atleast give u peace of mind that there is nothing with the car, if not theill probably find the fault. Regarding SAS in sydney, i have to say that they are good, they do all the esscargo cars, used to do the 405 tourer. The other workshop im trying to learn bout is Rick-Shaw automotive (yes the rotary guy for those of u who know), why?
well hes now campining a 406 supertourer in the Power tour series, SBS has some coverage.. but im not sure whos doing the work on that car.... maybe himself??

Ray, how's your GTI going? Got to the bottom of it yet? Perhaps you need to drive another GTI at the next Froggy gathering...

I'm not going to begin to sound like I know what I'm talking about, but the recent Amsoil oil and fuel injector clean and additive has really smoothed out my GTI. I'd recommended taking your car to someone who really knows the GTIs...

- Lincoln

<small>[ 29 August 2002, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: GTI124 ]</small>

Mine ran ruff at one stage, it was due to one of the Sensors being knocked slightly loose and not making full connection to the plug. So they replaced the Xensor plug and all is sweet now!

Also what bout your TPS(throttle Positioning Sensor) mine has been replaced, it was only after 4 times of me going back did the computer read inaccuratly for the dealers, and they fixed it.