306 fans/AC/overheating HELP

PUGGSY

Fellow Frogger
Hi just a few ? about the two fans at the front of the radiator.

Should they turn in normal driving ?

Should they turn when the AC is switched on?
(WAS TOLD BY A PUG DEALER THEY SHOULD NOT!)

When the temp is climbing should they turn before the red STOP light iluminates?(DEALER SAYS THEY SHOULD NOT!)

If we asume the pug dealer was "wrong" at what temp should they run on a 2000 HDI(once got 110 in traffic and still no fans!!)

THese fans do not to seem to activate at anytime and yet were checked ok by the dealer.

Is this how my 306 should behave or do I have big problems and bills to come"

cheers
PUGGSY

The fans should start to turn when the A/C is switched on.

They should also start to operate when the temp gauge reaches somewhere around 90c

The fans must be activating at some point otherwise your temp gauge would be entering the red and your stop light should be coming on. When my Engine fans blew up (should never happen...) it cost me just under $1,000.00 to have repaired.

Last edited:
Dr. 306 said:
When my Engine fans blew up (should never happen...) it cost me just under $1,000.00 to have repaired.

You make it sound like that's cheap!!!!!

I believe the 16v motors are different to the 8v. I would also think the HDi would be different again.

With my car, the fans come on at 89deg, which is the same as when the thermostat starts to open, and come on full at about 97. Stop light is at around 115 I believe. The A/C will turn the fans on no matter what temp the car is at.

Yes, so very cheap :spanner: .

I'm not sure how many weeks it was before I was able to eat again.

The fans are the same in all cars, from the Citroen XM (1989) and on as far as I know. My fans are the same blade and motor as the spare Cit XM one we have here.

In petrol model 306's they're 2 speed fans... low speed is the aircon speed. You can barely hear them when you're in the car. High speed is the engine cooling speed which you'd expect to hear at high ~90 something (just read Brad's post, yes 97 is right)... they sound like jet turbines then.

A diesel's optimum operating temperature is 82 degrees from memory (This is knowledge from truck motors but I can't see why it'd be different for car motors... someone correct me if I'm wrong). This means that the settings should be different for a 2000 HDi 306 to what we've been talking about

Derek.