306 clock/temp LCD fading

JK285

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
My clock/temp display is fading (just on 1 side) - does anyone know if this is just a globe problem, or is it an LCD thing?

How can I fix it?

i seem to have the same problem the tempreture side fades. I usually give it a tap and it comes bak to normal, but have no idea what causes it, may be something like the connection at the back.

I "fixed" it a few times by doing that. Doesn't make any difference anymore.

Same here! I get that fading thing sometimess too. And the tap tends to fix it a bit too (though occasionally it fixes itself up.)

I kept tapping mine until it refused to work.
I replaced a globe and.... it blew.

There seems to be a very "average" connector. I used another globe holder with tighter spring clip thingy, and never had the same problem again.

The globe holder is a standard holder as used in most dash illumination globes. Take the assembly apart, clean it, replace globe/holder as necessary. Its approximately 20 minute job.

Whoohoo! Glad it's globes, and not a "replace the LCD" solution.

Now to get that dash apart.
I've never had my 306 dash in bits before.
Any tips?

Julien:
Whoohoo! Glad it's globes, and not a "replace the LCD" solution.

Now to get that dash apart.
I've never had my 306 dash in bits before.
Any tips?
If you look at the display at a certain angle before you start the car you can actually see the digits. Same goes for the part that isnt lit up whe the car is running. The centre bit is fairly easy to take off, but I need to check myself how I did it before I give you the directions. (age and memory dont mix... wink )