$3,150 bill for Xsara 60K service

DoubleChevron said:
Why do these modern brake parts wear so poorly :confused:

seeya,
Shane L.

Harder pads, softer rotors. Something to do with "higher performance" apparently. My front and rear rotors on the 406 are nearly shagged at 125K km. Fronts wearing like your Cit - unevenly across the surface.

My ex's R21 seems to wear the front rotors at the same rate as pads as well. You have to go back to 504/CX days to get long wearing rotors. Dads Ro80 (simlilar sized inbaord discs as a CX) has its original rotors at 220k MILES.

Whoa! Did they actually phone you at any time and inform you of the work that was being done, if I had left my car there and then recived a bill like that I would be pretty pi**ed off if i had not recieved a call to say what was going on, i would left other items for later and spread the cost if it really had to be done, it's a shame you have had such a bad experience Xsara's are a very nice car. :)

Hi Guys,

don't get me wrong.... CX rotors wear, but they wear perfectly flat, and the rotor just gets thinner... In a well driven manual car I'd be very surprised if the disks didn't see 200,000kms. My Xantia rotors will definatly need replacing next pads change :mad: :nownow:

It wouldn't be such an issue if we were like the UK, where the rotors sell for about 12quid a pair :eek: :eek: I don't know how that turns into $205+gst out here :eek: (to be fair though, don't blame the Aussie parts guys for that, it's got to be the greedy importers !!).

seeya,
Shane L.

DoubleChevron said:
Hi Guys,

don't get me wrong.... CX rotors wear, but they wear perfectly flat, and the rotor just gets thinner... In a well driven manual car I'd be very surprised if the disks didn't see 200,000kms. My Xantia rotors will definatly need replacing next pads change :mad: :nownow:

It wouldn't be such an issue if we were like the UK, where the rotors sell for about 12quid a pair :eek: :eek: I don't know how that turns into $205+gst out here :eek: (to be fair though, don't blame the Aussie parts guys for that, it's got to be the greedy importers !!).

seeya,
Shane L.
Here's hoping all these rotors are recycled in an efficient manner, a terrible waste of resources otherwise.
Even then the energy consumed in making these discs is hardly in keeping with the push towards reducing greenhouse emissions.
Graham

Sorry to hear about this mate - fun isn't it :D The immediate things I can see wrong with this picture are as follows:

Is it necessary to use Mobil 1 ???
(Something like Penrite Pedigree semi synthetic would be more than adequate for your car - 5 litres for under $30)

ATF for $81.92 ???
(I bought 4 litres recently and I'm sure it was less than half that price)

Plugs for $62.04 ???
Are they platinum tipped? Is that necessary? Would garden variety plugs suffice? ($12 a set from Kmart)

What do these guys charge by the hour if you don't mind me asking?

graham66 said:
ATF for $81.92 ???
(I bought 4 litres recently and I'm sure it was less than half that price)

To be fair, the synthetic ATF used in the AL4 isn't cheap and Peugeot seems to imply that it's a PSA spec fluid - PSA doesn't mention any of the common ATF standards being compatible.

Standard old Dextron type fluids aren't expensive compared to fully synth fluids - that's how they can partially get away with the 'sealed for life' promise.

Pug307 said:
To be fair, the synthetic ATF used in the AL4 isn't cheap and Peugeot seems to imply that it's a PSA spec fluid - PSA doesn't mention any of the common ATF standards being compatible.

Standard old Dextron type fluids aren't expensive compared to fully synth fluids - that's how they can partially get away with the 'sealed for life' promise.

Yep, fair point. Are you back in oz Justin?

In fairness to the Cit. dealer in Melb., I was informed of all the necessary repairs before they started with all the works. I know the tranny of my Xsara slips during winter and was advised that they will do a an overhaul to cost about $1000 ($100x 4 hrs labour inc.). I was expecting a bill of $1,800 for 60K+timing belt+tranny overhaul. I was just surprised that all the rotors+pads had to changed at such low kms. All my Jap cars never had rotor change below 120K kms. Anyway, the $3,100 is worth it as long as I know my family can safely ride in it.

Btw, the special ATF is only 2 li. and that was expensive. Mobil 1 synth too was a bit too much. I've had oil changes with other Cit. dealers who use Castrol and it only costs about $40 for 3.5 li.

Mobil 1 synth too was a bit too much. I've had oil changes with other Cit. dealers who use Castrol and it only costs about $40 for 3.5 li.

With my last car (1999 Alfa Romeo 156) they charged $82 for synthetic engine oil (from memory the capacity was quite small so it wasn't actually all that much oil!) which I thought eye watering, but the next time they had little signs set up saying that form now on all Alfas at that dealership would be fitted with "Racing" Oil - and duly charged $115!:eek:

Tony.

Juan M. said:
($100x 4 hrs labour inc.). :eek: .
:eek: :eek: :eek:

At $100 hour I think i will loose my full Cit service history. it might get me an extra $1000 when I sell the Xsara but it looks like I'll save that in a year getting my local mechanic to do the 20,000 services. I'll do the oil and filters in between mean time.

I just looked at andyspares and they have the Brembo Max rotors for 68 pound a set of fronts anyone interested in a group buy, we might get a freight discount.

Cheers

mattg said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I just looked at andyspares and they have the Brembo Max rotors for 68 pound a set of fronts anyone interested in a group buy, we might get a freight discount.

Cheers

68 quid ??? They'd owe you more than buying them locally by the time they got here.... $160aud ... shipping HUGE as there heavy ... It'll probably be another 50quid to ship them.

Usually they get to your door ok ... however lets pretend they get stopped at customs ... import duty on full purchase price (probably they'll include the cost of postage in there dutys :rolleyes: ), GST, and anything else they can think of :disappr:

seeya,
Shane L.

Dads Ro80 (simlilar sized inbaord discs as a CX) has its original rotors at 220k MILES.
Sorry, off topic, but I'm astounded to hear that an Ro80 has actually lasted for 220,000 miles! I realise the model was groundbreaking in many areas of vehicle design and can respect it for this, in spite of its flaws, but they weren't exactly renowned for engine longevity. Their warranty claims essentially sent NSU to the wall. How many engines has the car been through, Haakon? It is good to hear that there is one still alive and running in Aus, I've only ever seen dead ones.

Brett

Brett R said:
Sorry, off topic, but I'm astounded to hear that an Ro80 has actually lasted for 220,000 miles! I realise the model was groundbreaking in many areas of vehicle design and can respect it for this, in spite of its flaws, but they weren't exactly renowned for engine longevity. Their warranty claims essentially sent NSU to the wall. How many engines has the car been through, Haakon? It is good to hear that there is one still alive and running in Aus, I've only ever seen dead ones.

Brett

Noooooooooo ...... He's picking on the RO 80 ... run for the hills :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: (maybe he meant 220miles :whip: :whip: :whip: :D ).

Don't worry I'm sure Haakon will get back to you :)

seeya,
Shane L.

Don't worry Shane, I'm sure there are still more Ro80s getting about than GS Birotors, and they used the same Comotor engine as the NSU!

Actually not knocking the car, believe it or not. They have become a bit of a cult car overseas, a few of the UK car journos drive them these days. One in good running nick would be worth having for curiosity value alone I reckon. It's just that the engines, err... generally didn't last very long, especially when used for short trips or not warmed up before thrashing. But I would be interested to hear from Haakon about his Dad's experiences with his car. There is a (rather tenuous) connection to frogs given the shared use of the donk in the Birotor.

A few years ago I knew a chap with an excellent Ro80 body gathering dust in his workshop. It is probably still there if anyone is interested (?!).

Cheers,
Brett

Brett

I like the way you pointed out that it has probably had a couple of engine changes. I was thinking that myself.

The Ro80 and DS are also thought of in common due to their interior space and IIRC flat floor.

I recall that one of the journos for a classic car mag from the UK writes occassionally about his beloved Ro 80 and how great it is to drive and reliable because he has looked after it properly.

Well, to keep Shane happy, I'll bite :D

Dads Ro80 is on its second engine. It is a daily driver, does the shopping, carts trailer loads of hay about for the farm, has been to Perth and back a few times etc etc.

Engine is perfectly relaible, as is the rest of the car. VERY well built machine.

Only the first 18 months of production had dodgy engine seals, and was fixed but not before the reputation stuck. I visited the factory/museum a few years back, and got to chatting with an engineer who was there in the Ro80 days - he said 2/3 of motors sent in for warrenty replacement were sent back with a note to the effect of "you idiot, it needs new plugs". Workshops and owners assumed the worst at the first sign of trouble. It cant have been too bad - it had a 10 year production run.

Motor claims DID NOT SEND NSU BROKE. They were bought out in a hostile takeover by Audi/VW, and shelved because they competed with Audi/VW products. Ro80 tech and design was fed into the Audi 100 development.

Comotor engines based on Ro80 motor, but a bit different. NSU motor is an NSU motor.

I would have thought 60K for front rotors was feasible - our Xantia's were shagged at 70, but then that was in part due to them developing a shimmy at an advanced driving day thus needing to be machined at 30K. Also, lots if inner urban running so lots of braking.

But rears at 60K sounds a bit excessive on a FWD. Having said that my last Subaru would have worn its rear pads out by 60K (not rotors though!) but the fronts were looking good for 70-80K. Beats the Xantia's 25K per set in the same conditions :eek: .

Washer Additive - $4.80
Brake Cleaner - $16.36
Injector Cleaner - $15.45

Bug-off is 50 cents a packet, (local servo)
5 Star brake cleaner $2 per can, (Autopro)
Nulon Injector cleaner $9.80, (K Mart)

This is where service persons rip us off- The little things. :nownow:

For the price paid for the service you could buy a 505 in really good nick.
Do this every year and after a few years you will have all the spares you will ever need. :banana:

My SII Gti after 370k km has the origional discs all round and the current set of pads is still 80% after 50k km.
The timing belts you use must come with their own virgin workforce to install them for that price, ($25 for the GTI). :tongue: :rolleyes:

French cars should not be expensive to run and generally the older ones seem to be easier to afford to maintain than the newer ones. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Gamma said:
Washer Additive - $4.80
Brake Cleaner - $16.36
Injector Cleaner - $15.45

Bug-off is 50 cents a packet, (local servo)
5 Star brake cleaner $2 per can, (Autopro)
Nulon Injector cleaner $9.80, (K Mart)

This is where service persons rip us off- The little things. :nownow:

For the price paid for the service you could buy a 505 in really good nick.
Do this every year and after a few years you will have all the spares you will ever need. :banana:

My SII Gti after 370k km has the origional discs all round and the current set of pads is still 80% after 50k km.
The timing belts you use must come with their own virgin workforce to install them for that price, ($25 for the GTI). :tongue: :rolleyes:

French cars should not be expensive to run and generally the older ones seem to be easier to afford to maintain than the newer ones. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Yeah, but your talking back when they used metal instead of playdough for brake rotors.

If you look into just about every small car out there (including the 206/307) I'm sure you'll come up with exactly the same stuff as listed here (that doesn't mean I agree with it .... That amount he's listed there is as much as I've paid on maitenance the BX, Xantia and CX GTi turbo combined over the last 5years and couple of hundred thousand km's).