207 seating position/distance, cant get comfortable (probably most Peugeots...?)

Andy's first frenchie

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
Tadpole
I've owned the car for a few months now and ever since day dot I can't find a good compromise between distance from steering wheel and distance from pedals.
If I place the seat where I'm comfy holding the wheel, my legs are fairly jammed.
If I place the seat where my legs are comfy for heel-toeing, my arms are too outstretched.

Are French people born with unusually long arms...🙄
I'm 172cm and have normal proportions (I think) of arms/legs/torso.

At the moment, its a definite compromise, I'm a couple of clicks too close for legs to be comfy, likewise a couple clicks too far for arms to be comfy.
My seat-back is almost fully vertical, steering wheel at full extension and lowest position.

Please tell me I'm not the only one with this dilemma.

I'm sort of forced to wear driving shoes with very thin soles, because any kind of sport shoes with thick soles make my legs even more jammed.

It may sound trivial, but I enjoy the occasional mountain run and will eventually take my 207 GTi to track days (I used to go regularly ages ago), and it doesn't engender confidence.

I don't imagine there's an easy fix is there?

Last edited:
Hmm, sounds like you have mistakenly bought an Italian car?

But srsly... I know of one person in another forum who spent many thousands of pounds perfecting the driving position in his 997 cab. Custom steering wheel boss/extender. And different wheel. Not cheap or easy.

From my experience in pugs they do prefer a closer than normal seat position with knees up so to speak. In my 306 I have the wheel where I want it and just have gotten used to the slightly cramped legs. I too am 'normal' ish... And at @173cm probably not far off in position to you. I don't have direct experience with a 207 though. Only the 306 and 308.

You are not the only one with this dilemma.

I got a 207 for my wife, which was a fair swap, and whilst she never complained about the seating position, I always found the same as you, that the driving position was only a compromise. It never felt ´´just right´´ for me, and I am 180cm.

Hmm, sounds like you have mistakenly bought an Italian car?
Ha! They're just as bad hey? The only one I've driven is a 147 GTA many moons ago. Can't remember what it was like.
I've only sat in a 1st Gen Gallardo and the pedals were stupidly offset to the right by about 7cm.
I've moved the seat further one notch and seat-back one notch more vertical and see how I go for a while. I had the back two notches more vertical but that was meh.

You are not the only one with this dilemma.
Good. So I AM normal. 🙃

I was considering adjusting the seat UP (currently lowest position) to get more leg room, but it feels like it moves the seat ever so slightly forward as well as upward.

If only the angle of the seat +/-10deg more upward at the front or put a small bolster at front edge, that would make a noticeable difference i think.

I'll see if Aliexpress has some such bolster.

I haven't driven a 207 but I do remember my parents shopping for a car years ago. Dad said the 207 drove really nicely and my dear mum interjected "but we're not buying it because the seat position is crap." They got a 307 instead.

Yes. I think one of my mum's criticisms was the shape of the seat itself, not just relative position to steering wheel and pedals. This purchase was a replacement for the comfy 406.

Doesn't it have an adjustable steering wheel? Surely you can adjust the wheel in/out once you have set the seat for correct relationship to pedals?

Here's a link to the correct page of the owners manual.

So:
Release the steering wheel adjustment lever (behind and below the wheel, on the left)
lift or lower the wheel to adjust height
Pull out or push in the wheel to adjust to suit your arm length
reach down and re-lock the steering wheel adjustment.

I owned a 307 for over 10 years, I once had a 207 as a loaner car, I thought the 207 had better front seats. The 307 lacked lumbar support.

Last edited:
Doesn't it have an adjustable steering wheel? Surely you can adjust the wheel in/out once you have set the seat for correct relationship to pedals?

Here's a link to the correct page of the owners manual.
"...steering wheel at full extension and lowest position."

Please tell me I'm not the only one with this dilemma.

I don't imagine there's an easy fix is there?

You are not alone.

Seating and positions in PSA cars is as good as it once was. Renault (the French ones, not the Samsung ones) have great seats and driving positions, in my view.

No easy fix in a modern car with seat belt pretentioners, airbags, sensors, etc., and the mounting will present challenges.

Most uncomfortable seats we have had were in a 1995 Mitsu Magna - all our French cars have comfortable seats.

Of course all are 2001 or older models...

😔

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220822-204049_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-204049_Chrome.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 60