206gti missing on one or two cylinders- already replaced plugs and coil pack. Suggestions?

Rhubarb205

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi all
my 206gti (2003, 190,000K's) is missing on one or two cylinders.

- Miss increases as it warms up.
- Replaced plugs which cured it for a while but it started again. Original plugs were clean and grey when they were replaced.
- Replaced the coil pack which had no effect
- Reports a pollution fault which I assume is due to unburnt fuel when it's missing.

Any suggestions for what to investigate next?
thanks!

Being an OBD era car, before I spent anything I'd have read the OBD codes. Do you have any?

Besides plugs and coils a miss could be from something from the control side of the engine. like a sensor, or a stuffed injector, intake leaks, fuel pressure, or something really nasty like a head gasket gone. Some things will miss on any cylinder, others will always affect the same cylinders.

The miss will cause unburnt fuel and air to enter the catalytic converter. The input lambda sensor detected the resulting oxygen problem and threw an anti-pollution error. Too much missing and you can poison the converter.

scan and report back, even Supercreeps can do this for engine codes, anti pollution fault covers a myriad of faults

The miss is regular on one or two cylinders, so I'm assuming that it's the same one(s)... car hasn't been overheating so I'm assuming not a head gasket.

Don't have a code reader. Will get one tomorrow and see what it says. Thanks to both of you for your help!

Don’t buy a cheap one, better off spending $100 and get supercheap to run for codes. I find you can’t see or clear on cheap obd2 tools European cars I’m talking about. Perfect for a commodore.

As said above you can’t guess these days.
Let us know how you go

Hi.

As mentioned above Supercheap will charge you only $30 to read codes, they can also email a report to you.

May I suggest that after the codes have been read and report emailed, ask then to delete all codes.

If you don't have an OBDII code reader, I don't know where else you can get them read for less than $100.

Cheers.

Even an Aldi code reader can read and reset codes on PSA cars. The cheapies (say from $50 to $100) can.

What the cheapies can't do is give a meaning for non-standard manufacturer-specific codes - the ones whose left-most digit is 1. HDI engines use a lot. Even moderately expensive tools can't do this unless they have been made to suit PSA vehicles. Plenty of AF members know these codes, so all is not lost.

I got one online...it's an icarsoft multi system scanner for my Peugeot and Citroen about ten years ago. Mine is only for Cits and Pugs and cost less than $150 if I recall. Check www.icarsoft.com. It reads/deletes codes and provides live data. I am no expert but it's fine for what I need. I don't think it gives the actual code number (can't remember) but it may say something like - richness regulation at maximum value...that type of thing. If you are interested check their website and/or email them.
I also have a Bosch one which does NOT do Cits and Pugs (despite the salesperson's good intentions) so check carefully before parting with your cash. Fortunately other family members have Toyotas, Mitsubishis etc so the Bosch isn't wasted.

The miss is regular on one or two cylinders, so I'm assuming that it's the same one(s)... car hasn't been overheating so I'm assuming not a head gasket.

Don't have a code reader. Will get one tomorrow and see what it says. Thanks to both of you for your help!
I'm guessing compression will be low on one or two cylinders. It's possible for a head gasket to fail in such a way that compression is lost, but cooling is not affected (no bubbles in expansion tank either).

got a $45 one off ebay that bluetooths to phone... I'll report back when it arrives and i've got a minute to try it out.

btw if anyone needs a 206 gti coil pack I've got a spare one - the one I replaced was suspiciously new! (sardonic lol)

have you tried wiggling the electrical connection to the injectors when the engine is running ,the scanner will tell you if the miss is related to the same two cylinders ,

Random cylinders misfiring is P0300. No 1 misfiring (nearest transmission) is P0301, and so on to P0304. All these will also cause a lambda sensor fault (pollution warning).

If a code starts with 1 (on the left) ask here about it.

(never had a 206) but on my 205Si it started running rough
checked everything without luck, then last of all the spark plug leads
that was it

Thanks all!

Error Codes were P0302, P0203, P0271 P0265 which are all injector related, so I'll replace the set.

Seems to be lots of options available- any to choose or avoid?

Cylinders 2 and 3 are misfiring - see my earlier post. No 1 is nearest transmission.

P0265 and P0271 are an electrical fault or overheating component on injectors 2 and 4.

This last doesn't match for cylinder 3.

Cylinders 2 and 3 are misfiring - see my earlier post. No 1 is nearest transmission.

P0265 and P0271 are an electrical fault or overheating component on injectors 2 and 4.

This last doesn't match for cylinder 3.
Thanks... I'm gonna assume they're all shagged!