206 oil replacement

Maksim

Fellow Frogger
Hey all

I got a 206 and its almost time to change oil ( as the computer says, 200 km to go). Few quick questions.
1) should i take it to the dealer and get them to do it, with their reccomended oil or should i do it myself?
2) if i do it myself what oil would u reccomend?

Maksim, you'll have to get it done simply because you need the stamp in your book to supposedly prove it's been done, for warranty purposes. It doesn't void your warranty (despite what they say) but it makes it difficult if any engine wear related issue comes up in the warranty period.

Stuey

I presume you're talking about the service indicator, which will go off at around 20,000km.

There's more to servicing than changing oil, my friend :) If something goes wrong with your car, Peugeot will look at your servicing patterns, ie. whether you serviced within the dealer network - even if something goes wrong outside of warranty, if you have a good record, they may be willing to chip in.

Cheers,

Justin

No, i have only done done around 6k, but when i start the car it comes up with a spanner and 200??????

In that case, your dealer should look at the car, because that's very odd.

You should be seeing that every 20,000km in Australia. However, I do know some dealers that recommend a 5000km early intermediate check.

Cheers,

Justin

Maksim:
Hey all

I got a 206 and its almost time to change oil ( as the computer says, 200 km to go). Few quick questions.
1) should i take it to the dealer and get them to do it, with their reccomended oil or should i do it myself?
2) if i do it myself what oil would u reccomend?
If you're just doing an oil change, then you may not need one yet..depending on the oil used originally. (Depends on your dealer, Alec Mildren used Esso, A&J used Mobil Super S (mineral) on my 306 GTI).

If they used synthetic, and you've had your first check up, I'd simply change the oil filter and top up the oil. (you'll need to find out what oil was originally used).

Most cars do not require a 5K service as per the service log book, only a 10K or, in the 206 case a 20K service. This doesn't stop you changing oils regularly though, for the protection of your car!

I'd recommend Paul Vassallo at Gladseville (check the main Aussie Frog page), who can do your oil filter change and recommend if new oil is required. It's not a bad idea to have a relationship with a non-dealer who can pick up any warranty issues for you.
If I had a new Peugeot I'd definately follow this path to ensure there was NOTHING wrong with my car!

As for oils, Paul used AMSOIL <a href="http://www.amsoil.com" target="_blank">www.amsoil.com</a> on my car, but fixed a HEAP of things with my car. My car has never run better, and I'll do whatever Paul says from now on!

- Lincoln

I would have thought that the oil change is almost mandatory in the early stages of engine life. The bedding in (running in) is just about done and isnt it the right time to get rid of those shavings from your engine?

I know the motor tolerances are better than ever before and oils used are much better as well, but I guess the old habits die hard and I shudder when people mention 20,000kms on speedo before the 1st oil change ever. eek!

Tekkie, absolutely! Manufacturers are competing for market share by pushing increased service intervals as a positive marketing thing. If you don't see your car as a disposible thing in a few short years, I'd change the oil at about 5K or so too...

Maksim, those service computers simply look at how many times the car is started, how short the trips are, how long the thing has idled etc. and suggest the most likely service requirement. Have you done lots of short trips and stop start driving?

Cheers!

Stuey

<small>[ 03 September 2002, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Stuey ]</small>

I do normal city driving and my 306 puter after approximately 5000kms says i have another 5000 before the service is due. I remember setting it to 10,000kms after the service was done.

I thought it was just a dumb counter with every kilometer bringing the service closer to you by a kilometer interstingly enough. roll_lau

ps. I could have chosen few different service intervals but the lowest was 10,000.

Totally agree, nothing wrong with doing an oil change in the first 5K, won't do any harm, and shouldn't cost much, if you use anyone except the Dealer! :D

extended services are based on full synthetic oils only. however i think 20k between oil changes is a pile of shite.city pew got in brisvegas only use gtx magnatec which if used at all should be changed at no more than 10k.i personally use a full synthetic and do very regular changes.always check the owners manual for correct grades.changing it yourself will save you money but would leave major services to a professional

extended services are based on full synthetic oils only. however i think 20k between oil changes is a pile of shite.city pew got in brisvegas only use gtx magnatec which if used at all should be changed at no more than 10k.i personally use a full synthetic and do very regular changes.always check the owners manual for correct grades.changing it yourself will save you money but would leave major services to a professional

I think your oil change intervals depend on the type of oil your using, a fully synthetic will do 20k but he's something to think about. We use Penrite mineral oil and mobil 1 fully synthetic for those who want it, but a little while ago the Penrite oil rep called in his new car, a Camry or Magna or some crap like that and we started talking about it, he went on to say that this car has 15k service intervals and he'll make sure the service record is done exactly as the manufacture suggests and at 100,000 when the car will be sold someone will get an immaculatly mantained fully serviced ex reps car, but he works an oil company and he knows that no way will an oil company garrantee there product for anymore than 7-8000km on mineral oil (which this car uses) so this 100,000km car has done half its life on old crappy oil.
Think about that when your up to 20,000 km without an oil change.

David.