206 Lower Control Arms

BBlu

Tadpole
Hi all.
I've recently replaced the lower control arms on the front of my daughter's 206CC as the ball joints were worn out.
I bought the replacement arms on eBay.
It now drives like the caster is out of whack, but caster geometry is built into the dimensions of the arms and not adjustable, as is the camber.
The toe is correct.
Is this a consequence of buying cheap LCA's made by those who reproduce products to look like the original with no regard or understanding of their actual function?
Anyone else experienced this?

I'm looking to buy a better pair and will swap them again, but how to know what parts are good and which are junk?
I guess the only sure way to get good LCA's is to buy genuine?
I'd buy an aftermarket brand made in Europe, but which one? If it were an MB I'd be confident with Febi or Lemforder but I don't know enough about Pugs to make a good decision in this regard.

Thanks for any input/advice.

Do you still have original LCAs? For my 406 I avoided the possibility of the problems you are having by getting new bushes pressed into the original LCAs.

I had a wheel alignment done, but it pulled to the left even after being done a 2nd time. Then it failed rego check, forcing me to get LCAs done (also replaced ball joints)

I have not had a chance to get wheel alignment rechecked, but it now tracks straight - no more pulling to the left!

Hi all.
I've recently replaced the lower control arms on the front of my daughter's 206CC as the ball joints were worn out.
I bought the replacement arms on eBay.
It now drives like the caster is out of whack, but caster geometry is built into the dimensions of the arms and not adjustable, as is the camber.
The toe is correct.
Is this a consequence of buying cheap LCA's made by those who reproduce products to look like the original with no regard or understanding of their actual function?
Anyone else experienced this?

I'm looking to buy a better pair and will swap them again, but how to know what parts are good and which are junk?
I guess the only sure way to get good LCA's is to buy genuine?
I'd buy an aftermarket brand made in Europe, but which one? If it were an MB I'd be confident with Febi or Lemforder but I don't know enough about Pugs to make a good decision in this regard.

Thanks for any input/advice.
You should have had a print out of the caster (and camber) angles when you took it in for a wheel alignment.

Do you still have original LCAs? For my 406 I avoided the possibility of the problems you are having by getting new bushes pressed into the original LCAs.

I had a wheel alignment done, but it pulled to the left even after being done a 2nd time. Then it failed rego check, forcing me to get LCAs done (also replaced ball joints)

I have not had a chance to get wheel alignment rechecked, but it now tracks straight - no more pulling to the left!
No they went in the bin unfort... The BJ's aren't replaceable anyhow.
You should have had a print out of the caster (and camber) angles when you took it in for a wheel alignment.
I do my own. I set the toe and checked the camber/caster knowing I couldn't change them. The numbers weren't great.
I don't drive the car, but did last weekend and realised how bad it was, hence the need to do it again with better parts..
But which parts are actually made properly?.....................

Hope you didnt throw out the old ones?

Get new ball joints and bushes here https://spareto.com/t/vehicles/peug...g-steering-wheels/control-arm-swing-arm-joint

and have them pressed in. Or buy complete new arms, but shipping may be more than cost to press in new bushes. Your call. TRW, Hutchinson or Corteco are what's likely to be the factory supplier. Lemforder, Delphi and Sasic are other brands id be comfortable in that list.

ah - i assumed the ball joint could be replaced... Not familiar with 206, seems its part of the control arm! Fun... Well, that list has complete arms. Looking at prices and brands, just get the TRW ones.

Load up your shopping cart and stock up on service parts to combine postage :)