206 GTI - Modification check list.

Rob E

Fellow Frogger
G'day All,

As some of you may have seen from a previous thread i am interested in picking up a new 206 GTI, or GTI 180.

I am leaning a little towards the 206 GTI at this stage as i know that the pricing will become fairly negotiable in the near future. That, and i
quite like "personalising" cars myself.

At this stage this is what i am thinking re Modifications, i would be happy to have your comments / advice...

What i am looking for is this.

1. Power - +10kw / 10nm (Will accept more noise but not drone)
2. Brakes - More bite + fade resistance (will accept moderate squeal)
3. Handling - Higher grip, faster direction change (will accept firmer ride than OEM) Will be putting on some GOOD tyres.

Would appreciate comments on....

1. Magnex Cat back exhaust / Esscargo cat back and relevant Cold Air induction set ups.

2. EBC Rotors/pads or TAR-OX set up

3. Koni / Eibach or Bilstein/Eibach set up.

This is the way i am looking at the moment......

Cheers
Rob

Rob E said:
G'day All,

As some of you may have seen from a previous thread i am interested in picking up a new 206 GTI, or GTI 180.

I am leaning a little towards the 206 GTI at this stage as i know that the pricing will become fairly negotiable in the near future. That, and i
quite like "personalising" cars myself.

At this stage this is what i am thinking re Modifications, i would be happy to have your comments / advice...

What i am looking for is this.

1. Power - +10kw / 10nm (Will accept more noise but not drone)
2. Brakes - More bite + fade resistance (will accept moderate squeal)
3. Handling - Higher grip, faster direction change (will accept firmer ride than OEM) Will be putting on some GOOD tyres.

Would appreciate comments on....

1. Magnex Cat back exhaust / Esscargo cat back and relevant Cold Air induction set ups.

Cheers
Rob
HI, go for the normal GTI as the 180 has far too many issues to over come at this stage..
ESP is a nightmare to get around when tuning....stops car on dyno..etc
M6LP computer is a nugget....
FLY by WIRE throttle and ext valves that require replacment at 120k in standard trim.....
easy to get far more power out of old school GTI $$$$$$ :)

:peugeot: :spanner: :peugeot: :adrink: :cheers: :pugplak: :afplak:

I've heard nothing but good things about Magnex systems on the 205.

I'd recommend that you look at switching back to 15s, I reckon they'd give you better turn in, than the fairly heavy 16s. Or, you can get some nice lightweight 16s...

Have you seen this website? http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/Peugeot/Peugeot-206-GTI-3-Door-2-0.cfm

I'm sure Dwyer here will give you a good deal, though.

GTI124 said:
Have you seen this website? http://www.discountnewcars.com.au/Peugeot/Peugeot-206-GTI-3-Door-2-0.cfm

Wouldn't surprise me if he could beat them. A lot of the discounts there for the Euro marques are pretty conservative, apart from a few Renault ones. The 607 one is a joke - I reckon you could knock off more just by sneezing at the car!

However with the Laguna V6s (bar the Privilege LX - I think they just forgot to update that one), they're basically throwing the car away with those discounts - there aren't many discounts on that site in that class of car at similar levels. To be honest, I haven't seen many discounts like that in that class of car. Only the Vectra's offering bigger discounts (and that is only a competitor to some degree!)

I know the Clio discounts are pretty conservative though - I lopped off quite a bit more in private negotiations back in the past.

Rob E said:

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob,

For brakes, try just EBC greenstuff pads on standard rotors and see how you like it first ... the only fade i've ever had was after 4 hot laps around calder park (i forgot my cool down lap ... lucky there was sand). They don't need much warming up at all and have less dust than OEM as well.

in terms of the induction setup, check out 206gti.net on induction systems. pretty much most aftermarket systems don't work (don't believe what the manufacturers say). the discussion forum is at

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/peugeot-206gti

there should be something on suspension there as well.

luan

Pug307 said:
Wouldn't surprise me if he could beat them. A lot of the discounts there for the Euro marques are pretty conservative, apart from a few Renault ones. The 607 one is a joke - I reckon you could knock off more just by sneezing at the car!

However with the Laguna V6s (bar the Privilege LX - I think they just forgot to update that one), they're basically throwing the car away with those discounts - there aren't many discounts on that site in that class of car at similar levels. To be honest, I haven't seen many discounts like that in that class of car. Only the Vectra's offering bigger discounts (and that is only a competitor to some degree!)

I know the Clio discounts are pretty conservative though - I lopped off quite a bit more in private negotiations back in the past.

Sure, but it gives you a nice benchmark to work from. ST170 is calling me...$35,970 on the road, new. Thomson Ford have one that has done 1300kms and want $33,990...get them down to $31K or so... oh, I don't know if I can hold back any longer... :evil:

GTI124 said:
I've heard nothing but good things about Magnex systems on the 205.

I'd recommend that you look at switching back to 15s, I reckon they'd give you better turn in, than the fairly heavy 16s. Or, you can get some nice lightweight 16s...

Thanks Lincoln, I am thinking along the same lines. The issue is finding a light, strong wheel with the right offset.

Unfortunately, as the old adage goes, "light, strong, cheap..choose two"

I've been doing some reading on the ST170, looks like a good package except for the engine.....got any plans of rectifying that??

Other respondents - thanks for the tips.

Cheers
Rob.