206 GTI indicators dead - fuse / flasher unit?

Clippit

Fellow Frogger
Hi friends, I have a 206 GTI now in which the indicators have stopped working. Hoping for some tips!

Here's how it is now:
  • Hazard lights are working - all indicators flash
  • Brake and park lights are working.
  • Indicator stalk was working fine; none of the usual issues (hard to verify now of course)
Questions:
  • Is it true there's no discreet fuse or flasher unit?
  • There's an indicator relay inside the BSI (body ecu)?
  • I assume there's a separate relay for hazards?

I haven't ever actually had indicator problems on a 206 but given what I've seen, I'd say that there isn't a "flasher unit" as such. I've seen a little circuit board on other PSA vehicles which has a little speaker on it that makes the ticking noise and presumably uses solid state alternatives to electromechanical relays.

The stalk would be where I'd start looking. I'd probably plug in to PP2000 and see if there's an actuator test available to see if the switch is operating.

possible incorrect bulb (s), check no LEDs installed, license plate bulbs can cause indicator issues on some models, sorry dont have access to wiring diagram. year or VIN for others to advise

Blinkers (and hazards) are done electronically by solid state relays in the BSI. The low current stuff (blinkers, parkers, tail lights etc) is done by the BSI. The high current stuff (headlights, fog lights etc) is done by regular relays in the BSM (engine bay fuse box).
The brake lights are the only lamps switched by an actual switch connected to the brake pedal!
If the "hazard" lamps work then the problem is not in the BSI.
Best guess is a bad contact in the COM's unit (the indicator/wiper stalk module).

Thanks guys, after taking the BSI in and out and apart twice I think I know what happened.

I was testing the indicators with the ignition in "accessories"; this is subject to a 30 minute timer before it goes into "eco mode" and shuts of several electrical systems. It seems to stay in that state till the car is next started. I'd read this in the manual but didn't realise it applied to indicators but not hazards.

Started the car up yesterday and the indicators worked as normal again :)