206 GTI 2000 Misfire Code p0300

CBen

Tadpole
Tadpole
Just got my timing belt replaced at the mechanic and after driving it for the past week, it has had no problems. Now the engine light is on, and the car is misfiring in 5th when going slower speeds. Scan tool is showing the below picture. Would this have anything to do with the timing as it was fine when I picked it up, now this is happening a week later?

Attachments

• IMG_1834.jpeg
    IMG_1834.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 34
Misfiring is usually a coil, plug or injector. The upper oxygen sensor has possibly sent the message to the ECU.

The 2L engine doesn't get the clagged ports misfires that afflict the 1.6 turbo.

It's possible the belt was not tensioned correctly and has slipped on one of the cam shaft sprockets...but I doubt it.
I would take the car back to the mechanic and check the timing belt installation. Better safe than sorry!
My bet is coil pack or spark plug. The misfire occurs under load.

It's possible the belt was not tensioned correctly and has slipped on one of the cam shaft sprockets...but I doubt it.
I would take the car back to the mechanic and check the timing belt installation. Better safe than sorry!
My bet is coil pack or spark plug. The misfire occurs under load.
Yes, I was also thinking the belt may have slipped. I’ve also noticed there is white smoke when accelerating. Will definitely be calling the mechanic tomorrow.

Yes, I was also thinking the belt may have slipped. I’ve also noticed there is white smoke when accelerating. Will definitely be calling the mechanic tomorrow.
White smoke might be valve stem seals. Typically on start up or taking off from the lights, but not while driving along.
If it's under hard acceleration at high revs...maybe the PCV system or piston ring blow-by. Check the connection from the top of the camshaft cover to the inlet plenum/manifold. Check for excess oil in the tube. In modern engines too much oil gets out of the camshaft cover and back into the inlet manifold. Don't know why. Low oil viscosity, high cylinder head temperatures?

Last edited: