206 GTi 180 Water Temp Gauge not working

FUN206

Fellow Frogger
My water temp gauge has stopped working. All other gauges and lights in the binnacle are working - so I'm thinking it's a sender..? Does anyone know where the water temp gauge sender connects to? Was told above the transmission on the right hand side??

Anything else I should be checking?

Didn't realise how much I used the gauge - I'm missing it - A LOT! It's kind of my "ok to red-line gauge".

Cheers all,

D

The transmission is on the left hand side, of course :)

It's on the thermostat housing - pretty sure there is only one temp sensor feeding directly to the ECU.

According to the pic (item 1220), it's a two pin, green plug (VE meaning verte in French).

coolantgti180.jpg

It will all be cunningly hidden but may be visible between the battery and the engine cover.

As a first step, I'd be cleaning the connector (the terminals may be covered in some powdery substance, or perhaps the sensor is leaking internally up through the connector - which is not good as it may contaminate the ECU eventually).

Just be cautious a lot of these 206s have problems with instrument cluster drivers from what I have seen if the sensor fails it will set a coherence code I would try to do a temp sensor sweep with a diag I do have a new sensor if you need it but i would be looking at the cluster first I can repair these if you need .

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 505 GR xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Awesome guys - thank you. I'll check the sensor on the thermostat housing and see how I go. I'll report back if I need anymore help or assistance with parts etc. Cheers all.