206 GTi 180 Timing Issue

Carbonized

Tadpole
Afternoon Frogs,

I'm searching for a bit of information regarding timing position for the EW10J4S. I've worked on a number of J4 engines but aside from the block the J4S looks very different.

Situation:
I had bought the car in a modest state minus a peculiar squeaking sound coming from the timing belt. All of a sudden from a short drive to work I had multiple engine codes appear:
P0304 - Cylinder #4 Misfire
P1340 - Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0011 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced
P0351 - Ignition Coil "A" Circuit Primary/Secondary Malfunction
P0170 - Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1)

Car felt like it was in limp mode. Rough idle, nearly no power, sounded horrible, all the bad things. Towed it home. I tested the continuity in the wiring loom, replaced spark plugs, ignition module, replaced the cam and crank position sensors with ones I knew were working, then was left with the dreaded option of taking a look at the timing belt.

Also massive thanks to this thread, I was stumped when I saw the crank pulley only had one centre bolt.
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/te...-ew10j4s-crankshaft-locking-pin-location.html

So I removed the timing belt covers and found the belt extremely limp. No tension at all. Either the tensioner failed or it wasn't tensioned properly to begin with. So I aligned the cam shaft sprockets with their respective pin holes. The intake cam pin location wasn't where I expected it, however I'm confident in their locations.

Anyways, I don't have any visual cues to align the crank sprocket so I'm hoping someone on this forum would know what the go is. The J4 engine was so much easier to work out. This one is doing my head in.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Screen Shot 2018-10-01 at 3.38.53 pm.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 836
Last edited:
I also haven't played with gti 180 engine. But on all the rest there's a whole in the back of flywheel that you must make central in the big whole on the back of the block. There's a special tool that makes this much easier. I had to talk to some experts to figure this out!

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app

yes, not timed at the normal TDC.

Two holes at the flywheel,
get the right one.
Pistons half way down not equal, key way parallel to sump gasket facing backwards.

You can use the harmonic balancer key in the sprocket but need to put the key in first before you put the belt on.
or make a key to fit.
original key for balancer won't go on after you put the sprocket on.

Key for belt sprocket will be loose but will be safe.