206 GTI 180 First car.

Adam Ratbone

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hey there guys, I’m new to this forum and just wanting some feedback and general advice.

I have just bought a Peugeot 206 GTI-180 as my first car with 199,000xx on the clock. Anything that I should be aware about or check whilst I’m owning it.

Cheers,
Adam

Welcome to AF.

There have been a few threads about these lately, so use the Duckduckgo search box on the home page.

The 2.0 litre twin cam engine is well proved and reliable, as is the 5 speed manual box. Yours is the warmer version, and it likes a few revs to get along. Considering age and mileage, the first question applies to most cars: When was the timing belt last changed? If you don't know, do it now.

It doesn’t come with the service log books but it would have had to be done once in its life as the engine would make ticking noises or other symptoms at that Mileage. ( I assume )

These are modern interference engines -. If the belt goes when you are driving the valves can hit the pistons and damage is horrific - valves, even pistons. I wouldn't expect warning ticking. The work should have been done, but so many people delay or put it off, or even sell the car. It can be a DIY job, and there is help here if you go that way.

Some mechanics write a date or kms on the belt cover when they do the work. A long shot, but have a look.

My daughters GTI has done almost 300,000 kms, motor never been apart and no issues.
However neglect and lack of mechanical sympathy can destroy even tractors.
Clear coat on the paint is the issue.

These are modern interference engines -. If the belt goes when you are driving the valves can hit the pistons and damage is horrific - valves, even pistons. I wouldn't expect warning ticking. The work should have been done, but so many people delay or put it off, or even sell the car. It can be a DIY job, and there is help here if you go that way.

Some mechanics write a date or kms on the belt cover when they do the work. A long shot, but have a look.
Yeah I will definitely have a look into that if not it will be worth getting it changed.