206 GTi 180 Control Arm Bush Types

Anzactuck

Fellow Frogger
So I just removed my front right control arm on my 2004 206 GTi 180. I will be replacing the bushes with Powerflex purple bushes. When I tested the resistance of the rear bush (highest bush in the photo, tip of the boomerang shape) it was nice and solid.
With the front bush (at the apex of the curve) I noticed it had almost no resistance whatsoever, and I think it must be a spherical metal bearing type bush, with rubber there to hold in grease. It has the feeling of a well lubricated ball joint: easy to move around but solid as it's essentially metal-metal.
I'm yet to cut/push it out as it's late at night.

My question for anybody who might know:
Is this the typical OEM type bush you find in the GTi 180/other 206 models?
Even if it's normal, should it have no resistance?
Screenshot_20170615-002029.jpgScreenshot_20170615-002043.jpgScreenshot_20170615-002140.jpg
I'm hoping that this isn't how it's supposed to be, as I've had some issues with slight wandering under deceleration/acceleration that doesnt seem to be related to any other ball joints. Apparently a very common culprit is this front bush allowing lateral movement.

Later in this thread I will post images of the internal workings of this bush, as well as if it is different to the left side.

I can't remember, but I've changed mine first to powerflex black, and recently to a caster adjustable offset bush.

Brett on here sells powerflex, and may have those bushes in stock for you, in Adelaide.
Ah I managed to get the purple for $200 (for 4 bushes) sent. But its good to know there are some locals with parts!
Did you change them because they were broken or just for an upgrade? If so what did you think of the difference, if any?

Sent from my SM-G950F using aussiefrogs mobile app

Anzac, watching this with interest, keep us informed with pics!

That's not a crack in the arm, above the joint, visible in pics 1 and 2 is it?

Cheers, Stu.

Are you sure the rear suspension trailing arm bearings are not worn?

If worn any 206 will wander or much worse.

Anzac, watching this with interest, keep us informed with pics!

That's not a crack in the arm, above the joint, visible in pics 1 and 2 is it?

Cheers, Stu.
No not cracked, just rub marks, but I had to do a double-take because the picture makes it look like a crack!

Are you sure the rear suspension trailing arm bearings are not worn?

If worn any 206 will wander or much worse.
They seem fine, from what I can feel and see.

The left-front engine mount (gearbox side mount) had pretty bad rubber. I dont think I have any pictures on this phone though..
I havent seen the stock mount so Im not sure how much they are supposed to move.

I put in vabra-technics top mounts, which helped a lot. But now the lower-engine mount has slowly failed again (it was a standard mount). So Im getting a Powerflex "black" lower mount.
Mostly because I dont want to have to take the driveshaft centre bearing housing off AGAIN requiring the right front hub/shaft out AGAIN just to press another mount in. I can just carefully saw the OEM mount out and put the powerflex one in. It has no press fitting, just a snug polyurethane fit with some greese.

With the top mounts in and the lower mount working it was almost fine, but I may have bought a weaker mount than I needed (maybe for a model with a less powerful engine...) because you could still feel a little bit too much play between gears. BUT, the slight wandering wasnt an issue anymore. Untill now anyway haha.

I forgot about this thread but with the powerflex black lower engine mount, and the vibra technics "sport road" upper mounts the engine has been nice and solid for a long time. Im not having any weird issues with torque steer now. In retrospect Im not sure I needed to replace the control arm bushes, but why not! Also they stopped it making a small clunk at full lock when reversing.

I dont think I could handle fully solid mounts. And yeah that little nut is terrible. I was thinking of making a thicker metal plate, and doing some pre-emptive welding. Ive heard stories of horror track day tearing