205 v 306

pug no4

Fellow Frogger
Hi Guys,
Just after an some advise, got a series 3 205gti, which I love, but have noticed the prices of 306gti6 are coming down, wondering if its a good idea sell and invest in the 306gti6.

hI,

Tell me more about the 205 series three :p Yes the GTi6 has come down and they are fanastic cars. Talk to bw205 about the change he has just brought one. PM me with some details on your car.

Cheers Nick

pug no4 said:
Hi Guys,
Just after an some advise, got a series 3 205gti, which I love, but have noticed the prices of 306gti6 are coming down, wondering if its a good idea sell and invest in the 306gti6.
I think the first port of call is to go drive a 306gti6 and see whether you like it better than your 205.....

Gti6's are a fantastic car, to me, they feel little soft and heavy compared to a good 205 s3.....

On the plus side, the GTI6 feels like it's made of metal rather than crape paper, it's built about a thousand times better, is quieter, goes a fair bit harder (top end), is well equipped and is a younger car than the 205 (meaning you will find better gti6s out there than 205s for any price) :)

The 306gti6 is a better compromise (comfort vs fang) than the 205, but you need to be ready to compromise :D

306 GTi-6 a good mile cruncher....but with the bonus and option to have a 'poke' at the accelerator when ask (esp. when you come across a twisty bit of road :roflmao: )

205 GTi - So much more fun than the 306.......oh did I mention that the 205 is SOOOOO much more fun than the 306 :D

Also, there is a world of difference between the comfort level of the 205 and the 306.

So the ultimate question is "Are you getting older and looking for more refinement??"

Well that was the question that I was asking myself when I bought the 306 and along with a number of personal factors

Cheers
Billy :cheers:

I'd take one for a drive. I love the GTi6, though, and personally would take one over a 205 any day. I'd take an S16 over a 205 as well, though, I just think the 306 is the bee's knees. But this is all personal opinion in the end, they're a different generation car.

GTI124 said:
I'd take one for a drive. I love the GTi6, though, and personally would take one over a 205 any day. I'd take an S16 over a 205 as well, though, I just think the 306 is the bee's knees. But this is all personal opinion in the end, they're a different generation car.

Stick a lower diff (from a S1/S2) in your S3 205 and you'll never want to sell it.

I'll probably cop alot of flak on this one but here goes. Altho they are completely
different cars from different generations i would take the 205 over the 306 gti6
anytime.
One of the main reasons is the 306 [any 306 ] simply does not have "presence"
on the road...easy to get it lost in a carpark full of Hyundais etc.
The 205 gti is a flog'm and thrash 'em type car whereas the 306 is sort of mums and dadsie. The 306 looks similar to a Lanos and when they were new the gti6
was close to $45000...thats alot of dosh to get lost in a carpark.
Yes they are great handling cars etc etc however a car to me has got to be more than that. The time i drove one i simply was waitng for something to happen...it didnt!! The 124 kw only came alive midrange by then the opposition was gone.
I think Peugeot got it wrong when they made the gti6 look too much like the cooking model 306's.
The 205 is /has cult status and is actually starting to appear in the conservative
classic car magazines, it is also the car that pulled Peugeot out of the fire.
Can the above be said for the 306...i think not!!

I await crucifixion by a thousand cuts !!!! Please no letter bombs !!!
cheers jr

jr20516v said:
I think Peugeot got it wrong when they made the gti6 look too much like the cooking model 306's.
A standard 205 GTi doesn't have that huge visual differentiation over a 205 Si. I can tell the difference, but I can tell the difference between a Style and a 306 GTi-6 too.

Cosmetically SIs and GTIs are pretty similar, especially as all the Australian SIs had similar fog lamps as the GTI.
The SIs do miss out on the plastic wheel arch and side strip thingies and wheels of the GTIs

It is interesting that the SIs don't attract the same crowd as the GTI, they're not treated or sought as a poor man's GTI and seem to be bought as decent little city runabouts with a little bit of style and difference rather than to be fanged around.

There are comparatively fewer 205s out there than 306s too......with more of them being GTIs than SIs

While the 205s are similar, I think it's fair to say the cosmetic similarities amongst 306s are probably greater.....apart from a tiny GTI6 badge (on the later ones), ride height and the number of doors it can be easy to mistake a GTI6 for other 306 models.

I'd agree that it is easy confuse a GTi6 for a regular 306, especially the last of them, where they appeared to share every part with the GTi6....not good!

However, I think the 306 does have presence, especially with all of the new cars having the tall boy look them. In amongst Corollas, Civics, 307s, Focus, Golfs and A3s, it does stand out.

To say the GTi6 doesn't stand out as an argument for the 205 GTI doesn't make much sense to me. The 205 GTI barely looked any different to the SI. I think Peugeot, IN GENERAL, has an issue making it's hottest cars look different to the rest of the range.

GTI124 said:
I'd agree that it is easy confuse a GTi6 for a regular 306, especially the last of them, where they appeared to share every part with the GTi6....not good!

However, I think the 306 does have presence, especially with all of the new cars having the tall boy look them. In amongst Corollas, Civics, 307s, Focus, Golfs and A3s, it does stand out.

To say the GTi6 doesn't stand out as an argument for the 205 GTI doesn't make much sense to me. The 205 GTI barely looked any different to the SI. I think Peugeot, IN GENERAL, has an issue making it's hottest cars look different to the rest of the range.
I agree,

I see that as a plus though, I like the fact that Peugeot's GTIs are low key........there are too many BS performance looking cars out there.

I also think they don't really need to Jazz up the appearance their GTIs/performance versions (at least up to the 206....jury's out on what a cooking 307 needs) ie big spoilers, WRC replicas etc

The cars (peugeot's hatches) generally have presense and look good whether it's the base or top of the line model......i'd much rather they spend their development time/money on making the things go, handle and drive like champs, instead of wings and chrome :)

Problem I have with what they did on the 306 is, they created a different bodykit for XSi and GTi6 and then realised it was so nice and spread it through the entire range, thus cheapening the look of the XSi and GTi6. It's like taking the new 206 GTI 180 kit and throwing it on the XR further down the track.

I'm not asking for WRC wings on the things. That'd be so... :whistle: I do like the understated look to a performance car, eg, Alfa GTA :) :approve:

The 205 is a car that lives on it's nerves and if it's not going a gazillion miles through a corner it can be a bit stubborn, especially in traffic on hot days. The 306 however is much more civilised and is a fun car to drive, my mum's XT is a hoot for a car that supposedly is underpowered, the only major gripes I have the 306 is the turning circle and the footrest by the clutch pedal, however I just love my 205 and i don't think I will be changng for quite a while. It depends as said above, if you would like a bit of refinement go the 306, if wanna go back to the good ol' days of go-kart hatches go the 205.

jr20516v said:
The 306 looks similar to a Lanos

LOL :roflmao: Oh boy you are in trouble when Brad finds this thread!

Cal. :cheers:

I was not going to weigh into this debat, but hey, I'm easily baited.

I have full admiration for what Peugeot did with the 205 GTI in the late 80's. But guys, it was the late 80's!!! At that time people gave a rats about refinement, build quality, A/C, or even being able to see half the bare metal of the body fromt he inside of ther car. This gave the 205 the enduring ability to be raw and cut throat in a market which only had the Golf GTI to compete with. The engine was HUGE for such a small car at the time aswell. The combination worked and it bacame a cult car.

If Peugot had attempted to do the same thing in 1995 with the S16 (which is undoubtably the predecessor to the GTI6), they would have been drawn and quatered for their lack of ability to develop a car to replace the 205, not mearly update an 'ancient' design philosophy. We drive the cars designed and built by massive companies who are doing so in light of the presures of the entire vehicle industry. Just because our little neck of the woods thinks the 205 is a better car based on our beliefs doesn't mean that PSA would listen to us as if they did, they'd been out of business long ago, only being able to sell the S16/GTI6 to those of us only concerned about traits 90% of the market couldn't care less about.

I think it's unfair to both cars and the Peugeot brand to start comparing these two on traits which are apples and pears. Give credit where credit is due. At least most of us are stating that 'in my opinion X is better than X' rather than the X is crap because it doesn't have rain sensing wipers'.

Pug no4...take each for a drive and see what YOU think, it's your money and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. This forum is full of very knowledgable people, however a question like that is dieing to be full of personal opinions.

My opinion, The 205 is a raw, white knuckle driving car which, in the right hands will be most entertaining and fast. The 306 S16/GTI6 on the other hand is more refind and better built, however will be a faster car A-B in most situatons and with most drivers, however a WRX is fast but has no where near the fun factor of even my S16.

Brad said:
however a WRX is fast but has no where near the fun factor of even my S16.

What on earth does that have to do with the price of eggs in China?

Cal.

Cal said:
What on earth does that have to do with the price of eggs in China?

Cal.

What I am getting at is just because a car is fast A-B does not make it enjoyable/entertaining to drive.

Hi,

Keep the 205 the series three are a fanastic car! Try however not to put it on its roof they don't like this. If you need anything for it just give me a buzz.

Cheers Nick