205 torsion bar & ARB upgrade questions

BG5WRC

Fellow Frogger
I didn't realise that no-one could reply to posts in the Wanted section. (Thanks cam85 for letting me know). So I am moving my questions.

Wanted thread here.

Starting with a 205 SI drum rear beam, and will be swapping over 306 disc brakes. On advice I will keep the 205 trailing arms. I originally thought I needed to swap over the 306 arms too.

For a car being built for tarmac sprints/hillclimbs & targa. The car has cage and is seam welded - what is an an appropriate size torsion upgrade and ARB bar to go for?

And more to the point of my wanted post, if it is unlikely that I will find anything in Australia - where is second best?

Thanks.

Well, if anyone is interested. With no responses of any available in Australia. There were a few options to purchase from the UK, and only one quickly confirmed he supplies hardened bars. If it helps anyone, I'm ordering

From Axles by Stef;

23mm torsion bar
25mm ARB bar
New bolt set

From Baker BM

End stops
Torsion Bar Adjuster Screw
Offset Washer

From ECAR in Europe

SNR bearing kit
Pair of new shafts
Seal kit etc

Am I missing anything for a beam rebuild? Probably time to get my head around it and do the job! :)

306 arms have too much toe in, which dulls the 205 GTi driving experience.

Still plenty of sideways action on gravel.
I actually find the Si to be a lot more responsive in the steering than the GTi.

Just that I've always found GTi handling to be not all that responsive. maybe I'm expecting too much.

Many years ago I got some oversized torsion bars for my 205 GTI made by King Springs on the Gold Coast. Don’t know if they would still have the details, but worth a call. Way back then they cost somewhere between $300 and $400 as a one off job.i got them made as 25mm figuring I could machine them thinner if necessary. I did think the 25mm bars were a bit heavy, but I never changed them.

Just that I've always found GTi handling to be not all that responsive. maybe I'm expecting too much.

The GTI (especially without PAS) is not much fun below 60kmh and I would agree it doesn’t feel very responsive . But above that, I find it really comes alive. Even with my B6s and GrpN strut tops on the front, the imperfections of the road aren’t jarring and it feels very nimble, yet confident at higher speeds. It responds very predictably to resettling the suspension, when braking or adjusting throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

The GTI (especially without PAS) is not much fun below 60kmh and I would agree it doesn’t feel very responsive . But above that, I find it really comes alive. Even with my B6s and GrpN strut tops on the front, the imperfections of the road aren’t jarring and it feels very nimble, yet confident at higher speeds. It responds very predictably to resettling the suspension, when braking or adjusting throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

The Si has a 2.75 turns rack which helps a lot. I have worn 185 65 14 rally tyres on my Si at the moment and it is razor sharp at all speeds. The limit wouldn't be as high as a GTi though.