205 Si sway bar diameter

best to confirm with someone else but mine is 23mm

Why is an Si sway bar 23mm but the Gti is 17mm?

I would be thinking it should be the reverse...

Moo

Moo

I always thought it was because the Si spring rates were less but only a turn difference between them and same wire diameter so I'm guessing it is because the ARB has less effect as the lower control arm than the GTis seperate bar with coupling high up on the strut.
Graham

Moo

Just checked mine.
Si 23mm
GTi 18mm.

I think the reason for the larger bar on the Si is that it forms part of the suspension. The front arm unlike the GTi where the bar is an add on.

Paul

It's also because the suspension being softer it allows more body roll to begin with which in turn needs a thicker bar to correct/keep it in check.

In the end however it comes down to what the manufacturer envisaged the expected use for the car was going to be. If they wanted the car to be stiff as a brick they went thicker, if they wanted to make it softer they went with a thinner bar.

the si and gti front suspension are completely different the gti lower control arm is fixed to the subframe at two points and pivots up and down and is limited to moving any other way due to the design. where as the si lower control arm is only fixed to the subframe by one point and also pivots up and down but has no support in the other directions. therefore the sway bar/ castor rod forms that second grounding to the subframe/body to maintain stabilitiy and take the load off the one fixed point of the si lower control arm. thats what i seemed to work out anyway:confused:
i think you will find that the correct term for it is a caster rod? but it may also act as a sway bar. it is a similar setup to the picture below. lots of cars use this system.

Attachments

• Castor rod.jpg
    Castor rod.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 232
Last edited: