205 SI Brake and suspension Improvement

no they are the stock 205 discs

as I said, any berlingo, 206, 306 or the xantia and other citroens, all calipers with 266mm discs on those cars are the same. I mention those and not just ht 306 because 306's aren't as common at a wreckers as berlingos or 206s are. Why narrow your window?

Yes, keep it simple, they are ventilated unlike your original brakes and will be more than adequate for the 65kw and even a lot more, see above.

I gather 247mm disks
Are the ones to go for

No worries. PeterT makes good points about the rotor size re: unsprung and rotating mass. As well as fitting under 14" wheels
they dont all fit under 14" wheels. Mine wouldn't that's why I hopped onto c5 steelies which were just as good. I found that my spare set of pepperpots had grooves around the rim, which is a sign that someone fked around with various brake setups too.

my 266mm discs + Bosch 54 calipers scraped some part of the rim. I would have had to shave a mil or two off my caliper to get them to fit properly - it was the front face (pepperpot holes) and not the ID where the interference was - also if I did decide to stick with the 14 pepperports I would have had to switch to outside wheel balance weights because the internal ones scraped the caliper.

Here's a 266mm setup that I ran on my 205 with 14" Pepperpots. The calipers are HDi/XSi. There was trouble with either the SMR or the Speedline Pepperpot. They are slightly different on the inside. It was solved by fitting a 3mm spacer until the pads wore down a bit. I was a bit naive when I did this, fitting Greenstuff pads. A complete waste of time if you're going to punt it around a race track. If I can give you one word of advice, regardless of which caliper/disc option you choose, buy quality race pads, such as the N20J compound in Endless.

Attachments

• 266brake.jpg
    266brake.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 632
French sl201's don't fit over the 266mm calipers unless you A: machine the rim or B: attack the caliper with a grinder/flap wheel/mill. Italian sl201s do fit over 266mm calipers.

What engine mods are possible on the 205 SI ?

Buying this car was easy because i took my daughter, she fell in love with it!

Hello Graham

I have noticed some GTI inlet manifolds for sale in UK, series 1 & series 2 is there a particular one to look for? What sort of ecu should be used? I have seen adaptronic for sale or would the complete ecu and manifold from a gti be the way to go.

Don't think there is a difference with the manifolds, maybe the 1.9 has a bigger throttle body?
Aftermarket as the Si engine is different to the GTi.
Whatever is good value I guess for the ECU. It would need to support wasted spark ignition so you can keep the Si ignition as is.
Hello Graham

I have noticed some GTI inlet manifolds for sale in UK, series 1 & series 2 is there a particular one to look for? What sort of ecu should be used? I have seen adaptronic for sale or would the complete ecu and manifold from a gti be the way to go.

Joy oh joy I have Italian pepperpots and the 306 266mm set up with S3 hubs fits like a glove with space to spare! Success at last, will take PeterT's advice and get Endless pads, luckily they are local too,

Hello Graham

No need to look so far. I am pretty sure you can find a GTI manifold locally. Even I have a spare and I don't hoard that much.

I collected the 205 SI today, drove it back from Canberra without a hitch.
Car had been sitting for two years , put petrol/battery in it and away you go. Plus permit.

Brakes seem a bit dead and not particularly powerful, good pedal.
Is this common?

Last edited:
Would one of those Megasquirt 2 ECU be worth using?

If you like to constantly tinker with electronics and wiring - then maybe.
If you want the car to work soon, I would suggest not.

You can buy them ready made, then just the same as other aftermarket ECUs.

If you like to constantly tinker with electronics and wiring - then maybe.
If you want the car to work soon, I would suggest not.

I appear to have rather missed the point.
I'm sceptical of the payback on a 205 Si with minor engine mods which are never cheap. But then, the payback may well be in the doing, rather than the result. In which case, yes - a megasquirt would be suitable and fun.

Sorry, thought you were comparing Megasquirt to other aftermarket ECUs.
Yes, probably no advantage in changing from the original although you could get rid of the Si flat spot.