205 rotary

On FWD rotaries,I seem to remember reading about a run of Wankel GS Citroens. And what about the NSU Ro80 was that FWD?
On rotary Pugs, there's the two 203's of Damien Jenkins from Northern NSW. The latest is turbo.

Yeah, sounds like he's nuts...

The RO80 had the engine hanging out over the front axle and drove through a regular type of transaxle... in the front and out the sides, like Renault 12s and VWs.

Many had Mazda engines fitted...

I may be nuts Ray, but can you explain why that Ro80 set up is not FWD?

The Wankel GS Citroen was called the Birotor.
Visit
<a href="http://www.monito.com/wankel/citroen.html" target="_blank">www.monito.com/wankel/citroen.html</a>

Mazda are planning to bring out a new RX7 in a couple of years based on the RX8. They need to make 2 cars on the platform to make it financially viable.

BTW, the mule used to develop the Birotor setup for the GS was an Ami.

A wankel is just as hard/easy to put in a FWD car as a piston motor - it has a "crankshaft" output and a rotor housing to attach to a bellhousing just like a block.
Ro80 is lenthways like an R12, and the NSU motors in the Citroen GS/CX are sideways. Its all been done before.

Yes, that's all been covered...

But what about the engine width for installation in the east west engine bay?

I mean, you've got a rotor housing wider than an average block, then the manifolding etc, it's a pretty wide thing.

Ray Bell:
Yes, that's all been covered...

But what about the engine width for installation in the east west engine bay?

I mean, you've got a rotor housing wider than an average block, then the manifolding etc, it's a pretty wide thing.
No wider than most 4 cylinders, and a lot shorter and LOT less tall. The NSU motor fitted east west in a GS engine bay well enough, and they are not that big.

<small>[ 25 June 2003, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Haakon ]</small>